Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

whites tm808

Article about: by HVK What about the Whites 808 compared to the Fisher Gemini 3 ? Which one is best for WW2 relic hunting - and which one is best compared to the price ? Or is there other two box detectors

Default whites tm808

hi guys,
    im thinking of buying the whites tm 808 deep search detecter for my airfield, but at£500 i want to be sure its a good machine, any of you used one of these machines before and whats its realistic capabilities?? any advice would be great.
    paul

Default Re: whites tm808

Paul

I've not used one I am afraid but have heard good things about them. I think Dimas uses one for locating deep objects but I am not sure. This detector appears to be mainly used for industrial purposes so not sure of it's use with relic hunting.

Steve T

?

it's good for those deep large object's but you will miss small targets with this one.

BUT.......you will be able to find the larger ones you would otherwise miss with the regular detectors!!! Depends what your flavor is. Nowadays, most battlefields have been searched over at least near the surface. So a TM 808 or similar might be a worthwhile investment. I use both the TM 808 and the Garrett CX Plus with the Treasure Hound (not sure about name and I am at work, lol) deep seeking double coil thingy. Danny

HVK
    ?

What about the Whites 808 compared to the Fisher Gemini 3 ? Which one is best for WW2 relic hunting - and which one is best compared to the price ?

Or is there other two box detectors that should be considered ?

Do you need to go so deep on the field mate? Im finding all my Cartridges, badges etc at around 4-6" max. Obviously it depends on the history of the site
    I use a Garrett ACE 250 which was only £170 inc P&P... No problems

Quote by HVK View Post
    What about the Whites 808 compared to the Fisher Gemini 3 ? Which one is best for WW2 relic hunting - and which one is best compared to the price ?
    These are superb for finding hidden bunkers or maybe aircraft crash sites......any large lump of metal 2 or 3 metres below the surface and these beauties will find it.

But for battlefield relic hunting the are not at all suitable. As bikerboyax6r points out, most of the stuff we find is 6 to 12 inches below the surface, not 6 to 12 feet !!!

ssg keay is also correct that most battelfields have already been well picked over. This is where the thing I ALWAYS bang on about comes into play. RESEARCH. You don't need to dig a ridiculously deep hole if you do your research.

Anyway, they are the best investment for finding really deep stuff but then you gotta think.......'Crap ! I have now got to dig a 7 foot deep hole for what might be an old iron bar !'.

Given the choice between deep seekers like the 808 or a standard detector I know which one I would choose.

Hope that helps

Steve T

Steve T, for England that is correct I am sure. On our side of the continent though the good stuff comes out between 3-6 feet down (helmets etc). They tend to lay in the bottom of old foxholes and trenches. For that the TM808 is great, though a modified White's IDX Pro will do almost the same. Also if the item is handgrenade size or bigger it will be found Danny

HVK
    ?

Thank you for your kind answers. I totally agree that most of the time a regular detector (which I have) is more than enough. But for reaching the bottom of the former trenches in Eastern Europe / Eastern part of Germany you got to have something that reach 1,5 - 2 meters. And yes - there is a lot of stuf down there... :-) But I agree - it is hell to dig such a hole... :-)

What about the Fisher Gemini - nobody knows this machine ?

ssg - I totally agree I have mainly dug in England though ( been to Europe 6 times in the past 5 years ), and if I have to dig more than 2 foot down I know it's either going to be metal roadway or the water pipes

I would love to go deep digging in trenches and fox holes but they are pretty sparse in the UK and I am positive totally devoid of any German items what so ever

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast