MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

2 SS Erkennungsmarke variants; I believe to be OK.

Article about: Hi guys, please give me your opinion on the legitimacy of these two I picked up. Looks good to me, however I do not collect "SS" type tags until just recently. Most ID discs I've c

?

Quote by Wiegand View Post
    Hi Paul, I've taken a look at one example of this in the forum, and many very beneficial samples of actual erkennungsmarke here. Very solid reviews of tags.
    Thanks for your feedback - I've bought a fake! Live and learn they say. Learn before you live is like the chicken before the egg...hey wait...there is an argument to be made there.

We've been posting messages about the fonts on the other tag and Eike and I agree about the 'wear' below and around the stamping. With this in mind, what do you think of the other tag?

I've looked at the use of the "T" and "R" comparing both and think there is a difference in the letter. This may not mean much at this point, but worth a mention.

Regards,
    David
    I agree that both of them look like the stamping has been done on top of the wear and the font on the tag from the Estonian Training and replacement Btl is incorrect in it's position and use of capitals compared to originals , EKM can be a minefield but check here first before you buy and learn about German unit designations etc , that should stand you in good stead for the future
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 SS Erkennungsmarke variants; I believe to be OK.
    P
    Many

Quote by Wiegand View Post
    Hey Glenn,
    Do you look at the "0" expecting it to be the same as the "0" on the stamping on the opposite part. It's also in appearance to be a slightly different font, if we are both on the same page.

Getting into the details here...
    Regards,
    David
    No, what I mean is that it appears the '0' has been stamped over the corrosion. There looks to be a ridge around the 0 in the area of corrosion which shouldn't be there if the stamp was made before the corrosion took place.

Want to say thanks to all of you for your responses. The selling in Latvia - historic112011 sells many erkennungsmarke. They are reproductions. Their trickery serves only to make our interest in collecting more difficult - and expensive.

Not unlike the medals and many other reproductions made in the East, they continue to get better and better.

Regards,
    David

Here is one more erkennungsmarke just posted by this guy.
    Unlike the replacement battalion I posted earlier, the stamping is a little different and dangerously close to good.
    Let me know what you think of this one.
    These guys are getting good.

Bad...I see haloing around much of the stamping.

Hi Glenn,
    Have you seen the instrument the wehrmacht would use to issue these at company level? I think the repros are done with a letter embedded in a square stamp. Some I have seen have an imprint or impression from what looks like that.

Here's an example of one. This is what lead me to believe the cheap method he is using is a fraud. Your thoughts...

?

He must have come across a supply of dug up blank discs !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The Germans seem to have left blank disks everywhere.

This guys stamps are the same set for many different units he is obviously making these.

I have to wonder, in another 5 years, will it be safe at all to collect scarcer German unit tags?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That is like saying "will it be safe to collect German helmets, or Crosses or Rings..." I think there will be ways to determine real items.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast