Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 I/D discs for the same German soldier.

Article about: Hi, I have just acquired the 3 i/d discs pictured. I hope someone can help me with them. The first one is a standard German army type disc but I do not know what unit it is for...help please

Default 3 I/D discs for the same German soldier.

Hi,
    I have just acquired the 3 i/d discs pictured. I hope someone can help me with them. The first one is a standard German army type disc but I do not know what unit it is for...help please. As you can see the second disc is much smaller and I have no idea whatt its for except that it has a German look to with regards to snapping it in half.... any ideas for this one? And lastly the chap ended up in an American POW camp and was issued with an American type disc. I have never had an American discor one issued to German POW'S of the Americans and was wondering what the slight detent was on the open edge of the disc.
    If anyone can give answers to any of my questions it will be much appreciated. The man was original stationed in Jersey, Channel Islands as a member of the RAD and joined the army in 1942 ending up in Italy.
    Looking forward to learning from those who know,
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 I/D discs for the same German soldier.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 I/D discs for the same German soldier.
    P
    Many

?

Very neat.

The Wehrmacht disc is 6. Kompanie, Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 14- a regular signals replacement detachment. I've never seen one like the little square type before though. Breakable discs aren't strictly a German design- they might have started it with their WWI types, but other nations adopted the feature in the period between the wars. Maybe it's a POW ID from Sweden or Finnland or someplace like that before the guy was turned over to American forces? And the notch in the US tag is just a means of setting the tag properly in the machine that typed the text.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi Matt L,
    Thanks for the very interesting and useful info..... this is what makes this forum so good, heads above the rest. If people can they are sure to help with answers on the forum.
    All the best,
    D

?

Sure thing- I'm happy to help. I can't read though it seems- I hadn't noticed that you mention his war ended in Italy so obviously if that odd little tag is a POW type, it's from there or what was used there. I have no idea what Italian identity tags looked like but maybe that's a place to start. Or maybe a US/Commonwealth expert would know if they used temporary POW tags until they started printing their regular types?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...