Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke

Article about: So in one unit, you could have: '934 Stammkompanie/ Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 7' '659 Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 216 ' 123 Jaeger-Reg. 456 etc, etc... And of course the million dollar questio

Default Re: 4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke

So in one unit, you could have:

'934 Stammkompanie/ Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 7'
    '659 Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 216 '
    123 Jaeger-Reg. 456
    etc, etc...

And of course the million dollar question... can I find out who this tag belonged to?

Also, I named this thread incorrectly, didn't I? It should be 4. Kompanie/ Inf. Ers. Batt. 216?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

?

Well yes and no- Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillone supplied Infanterie-Regimenter, so you wouldn't have those men with the Panzer men, and the Jäger were very specialized too. You'd generally have the same basic type together, but they could be from different numbered Ersatz units, although there were usual suppliers for a field Regiment, so more likely you'd have different roll numbers and different Kompanien from the same Ersatz unit.

Nope, you can't- it's still a privacy law issue so only family can get records.

And yup, you have it right now Except that in German it's Bataillon- one 't' and two 'l's. 'Batt.' is actually short for 'Batterie'. Normally the short form would be as you see it on the disc: 4./ Inf. Ers. Btl. 216; or written out fully as 4. Kompanie Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 216
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Well yes and no- Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillone supplied Infanterie-Regimenter, so you wouldn't have those men with the Panzer men, and the Jäger were very specialized too. You'd generally have the same basic type together, but they could be from different numbered Ersatz units, although there were usual suppliers for a field Regiment, so more likely you'd have different roll numbers and different Kompanien from the same Ersatz unit.

Nope, you can't- it's still a privacy law issue so only family can get records.

And yup, you have it right now Except that in German it's Bataillon- one 't' and two 'l's. 'Batt.' is actually short for 'Batterie'. Normally the short form would be as you see it on the disc: 4./ Inf. Ers. Btl. 216; or written out fully as 4. Kompanie Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 216
    Thanks again Matt!

It's a shame I can't find out who it belonged to. If or when Germany decides to allow public access to those records, do you suppose there would be enough info in the German archives for me to research by the unit and roll number?

?

Sure thing and if the records exist, sure- it's how they identify MIA cases when they come up; and that's one of the main things the Deutsche Dienststelle, which has all the information, does.

?

I don't know how many men would have made up a Kompanie as a training 'class'- Stacez, maybe you know?- but if we ever find out, we could estimate from the roll number when this soldier joined.
    Hello,

225 recruits had been trained at the regular Schützen/Infanterie-Ersatz-Kompanie, accordingly:
    - 1st platoon: 72
    - 2nd platoon: 72
    - 3rd platoon: 72
    - mortar section: 9

Quote by Stacez View Post
    Hello,

225 recruits had been trained at the regular Schützen/Infanterie-Ersatz-Kompanie, accordingly:
    - 1st platoon: 72
    - 2nd platoon: 72
    - 3rd platoon: 72
    - mortar section: 9
    So how do you figure out when the soldier joined the kompanie?

?

Without seeing his Soldbuch or Wehrpass it's not possible.

?

If indeed they did keep to the paper strength numbers, he'd have been in the 10th 'class', although we'd need to know how long the training period was to get even an idea of when he joined. If it was 2 months, for example, that'd put it some time in 1941.

If indeed they did keep to the paper strength numbers, he'd have been in the 10th 'class', although we'd need to know how long the training period was to get even an idea of when he joined. If it was 2 months, for example, that'd put it some time in 1941.
    This is really confusing, would you mind elaborating please?

?

Sorry, I misread what Stacez wrote- so I confused things a bit there. Maybe this will make it clearer:

This is a training unit, right? So recruits would come in, be trained for a period of time, and then sent out; if a Kompanie would normally have 225 men in it, simply divide this guy's roll number, 659, by 225 and you get a bit less than 3- so he'd have been in the 3rd 'class'. I'm just using 2 months as an example since we don't know exactly how long the training period was at that time, but if it were 2 months and they did begin training recruits right away, 4 months would have passed before the 3rd 'class' was inducted, and that'd put it right at the beginning of 1940.
    Last edited by Matt L; 02-16-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast