Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Artillerie emarke for review

Article about: Good afternoon guys, After trying to figure this one out myself, I am still in doubt. May I please ask you for your opinions on this Artillerie Regiment 50 emarke? I do think it looks convin

?

Default Artillerie emarke for review

Good afternoon guys,

After trying to figure this one out myself, I am still in doubt. May I please ask you for your opinions on this Artillerie Regiment 50 emarke?

Artillerie emarke for review

I do think it looks convincing, but here are my thoughts:
    It looks unused (or unissued) and I have seen quite a bunch of emarke of this same Batterie from this Regiment for sale. All of these look like the one I posted here, only the rollnumbers are different.
    Could this be a good example from a hoard find perhaps?

Thank you for your opinions.

Regards, Rik

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Artillerie emarke for review
    P
    Many

?

Hi Rik,

I looked around but didn't get a satisfactory sample...

Firstly, 5. Batterie belongs to the II. Abteilung vom Artillerie-Regiment 50.
    and It was founded on October 15, 1935.

Secondly, The II Abteilung consisted of 4. Batterie to 6. Batterie.
    and 4. Batterie is normal Batterie but 5 ~ 6. Batterie is schwere Feldhaubitze..

Thirdly, Normally for schwere Feldhaubitze one Batterie, the force composition is as follows.
    Offz: ±3, Uffz: ±28, Mannsch: ±146. (cf. ± mean: error range)

Finally, I've searched many places but all of them are in bad Condition + high roll numbers.
    As you said, the Netherlands site sells a high roll numbers.
    link: Artillerie Regiment 50 | Military Collectibles 4U

And I find at the other site is a 2. Batterie sample...
    Wait for someone else's opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillerie emarke for review   Artillerie emarke for review  

?

In general, the high roll number is likely that they were enlisted after September 1, 1939.

That means from Ersatztruppen(training soldier) and they would have been given a new identification tag.
    As we know, Normally, the erkennungsmarke does not change after September 1, 1939.

However, there is an example below.
    Infanterie Regiment 379 was established on November 28, 1939. (after September 1, 1939.)

Infanterie Regiment 379 [3. Kompanie]

3 Kp. Chef Hptm.d.L. Kling (from Inf.Ers.Btl. 367)
    1. Zugführer Lt.d.R. Harnier (from Inf.Ers.Btl. 367)
    2. Zugführer Lt.d.R. Alsleben (from Inf.Ers.Btl. 88)
    3. Zugführer Feldw.d.R. Roos (from Inf.ERs.Btl. 106)

Nevertheless, they were given erkennungsmarke for IR 379.
    Usually, the high roll number in such cases...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillerie emarke for review   Artillerie emarke for review  

?

You are correct, this Dutch site sells a lot of the 5. Batterie and the rollnumbers are all in the range of 3 to 5 hundreds.
    Just the amount they are selling and the close rollnumbers makes me think these are unissued emarken from a hoard find.

Whilst it is possible that these Artillerie Regiment 50 ekm are from a hoard I would want to know if some proof of this. The issue for me is that they are all made in zinc, not something normally associated with a unit that was formed well before the outbreak of war and that the numbers are so close and the condition is good.

To counter my own argument it is also possible that they date from later in the war and that the roll numbers have been re-issued and zinc ekm made.

Can you trust the seller or can he provide any history of why he has so many from the same battery?

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Whilst it is possible that these Artillerie Regiment 50 ekm are from a hoard I would want to know if some proof of this. The issue for me is that they are all made in zinc, not something normally associated with a unit that was formed well before the outbreak of war and that the numbers are so close and the condition is good.

To counter my own argument it is also possible that they date from later in the war and that the roll numbers have been re-issued and zinc ekm made.

Can you trust the seller or can he provide any history of why he has so many from the same battery?
    Thank you for you opinion BC. The emarke in question is not for sale on the Dutch dealer website, but on another Dutch sales website where you can make offers on items.
    I don't know where this 'hoard' may have been from, but until there is a definite answer I won't make an offer. I am just not sure about this one.

Hi Rik,
    I think you are picking up the same vibe as I am. It may be ok, but I would have been much happier if it had been made in alu and not zinc.

Don’t like it.. there were supposedly lots of fakes being sold in Poland and the Netherlands. Here’s a similar tag found at Normandy. Artillerie emarke for review