Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can not find this unit?

Article about: hm.... is this id tag from 39. Gebirgs-SS Division "Andreas Hofer"

hm.... is this id tag from 39. Gebirgs-SS Division "Andreas Hofer"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can not find this unit?
    P
    Many

Quote by JeZoCoH View Post
    hm.... is this id tag from 39. Gebirgs-SS Division "Andreas Hofer"
    That one didn't exist, either.

(It was a projected formation planned, on paper only, during the last weeks of the war, but that was it.)

And, as has been said, the term "Abteilung" was not used by the mountain infantry. (It was used for battalion-sized units of the artillery-, cavalry- and armored branch.)

This is not true, i have found several mountain infantry "Abteilungen"

SS-Geb.Flak.Abt.13
    SS-Geb.Nachr.Abt.13
    SS-Geb.Flak.Abt.509
    SS-Geb.Nachr.Abt.(kroat.)
    SS-Geb.Flak.Abt.(kroat.)
    SS-Geb.Nachr.Abt.21
    SS-Geb.Nachr.Abt.23
    SS-Geb.Nachr.Abt.24

24 GebD d SS

?

Are any of those Gebirgsjäger? No. Those are not mountain infantry type units. They're Gebirgs-Flak and Gebirgs-Nachrichten- that's not the same thing. The Ersatz formations of- Gebirgsjäger, Grenadier, Panzergrenadier, Schützen, etc. were Bataillone. Flak, Nachrichten and a number of others are types that were organized as Abteilungen.

You should definitely get your money back if you bought this from max...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by maximus View Post

Original 100%!
    So how do you explain the fact that the unit didn't exist, and the title is wrong in two ways? Actually three since it does seem that the SS-Gebirgsjäger replacement units I found listed are not just Ersatz-Bataillone, but rather Ausbildungs-und Ersatz-Bataillone. If you can find proper evidence that there was ever an SS-Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz-Abteilung 39, I'd LOVE to see it LOL

What Matt said. Just an additional word on the terminology:

The terms Gebirgsjäger and Gebirgstruppen are often used in collector circles as if they were synonyms, which they aren't:

Gebirgsjäger are mountain infantry and as such only one part of what was collectively referred to as the Gebirgstruppen [mountain troops], which also included Gebirgsartillerie [mountain artillery], Gebirgspioniere [mountain engineers] and the Gebirgsnachrichtentruppe [mountain signals].

The replacement units listed in post #13 are all signals or anti-aircraft artillery.

OK, i was just asked to help with the unit identification.

Is it true that you can send id disc informations to German archives to get more data about the soldier?

Thanks!

?

Quote by JeZoCoH View Post
    OK, i was just asked to help with the unit identification.

Is it true that you can send id disc informations to German archives to get more data about the soldier?

Thanks!
    No it's not true they won't give you any more information about the soldier !!

?

You have to be a close relative- no country will provide personal information about citizens to just anyone.

And I was being facetious when I suggested if evidence this fantasy unit actually existed, I'd love to see it LOL

Maybe this is proof of the story that fakers 'seed' areas commonly visited by metal detectorists so some honest person will 'discover' a fake and can proclaim it 'Original 100%'- then he can sell others citing that find, which proves they're real. Except that it doesn't prove anything- just becasue a piece is dug up doesn't automatically make it real; more inexperienced people might be fooled, but it certianly doesn't make up for OBVIOUS errors like this one has.

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    You have to be a close relative- no country will provide personal information about citizens to just anyone.

And I was being facetious when I suggested if evidence this fantasy unit actually existed, I'd love to see it LOL

Maybe this is proof of the story that fakers 'seed' areas commonly visited by metal detectorists so some honest person will 'discover' a fake and can proclaim it 'Original 100%'- then he can sell others citing that find, which proves they're real. Except that it doesn't prove anything- just becasue a piece is dug up doesn't automatically make it real; more inexperienced people might be fooled, but it certianly doesn't make up for OBVIOUS errors like this one has.
    Oldest trick in the book these days , take a fake , dig a hole , take a photograph and it's a ground dug original !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast