Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dog Tag

Article about: Looking for information on dog tag marked 2664 Stammkp Pi. Btl 4 Thanks!

Default Dog Tag

Looking for information on dog tag marked
    Stammkp Pi. Btl 4

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dog Tag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dog Tag

Not an expert, but the 4 digit number 2664 would be his unit roll number and the unit appears to be Stammkompanie Pioneer Battalion No. 4 which I think is a replacement battalion, though others will give you a fuller explanation to its meaning.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry has most of that right except that to be a replacement unit, the word 'Ersatz' has to be there (it literally means 'replacement'). The marking 'Pi. Btl. 4' is specifically Pionier-Bataillon 4, which would be a field unit; however field units didn't have a Stammkompanie- that's a section unique to replacement units. So either there's an 'Ers.' in the text that you don't see (so it actually reads 'Stammkp. Pi. Ers. Btl. 4'), or something funky is going on. A picture would certainly help too.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

It is the use of Stamm that has me confused and I could not work out its meaning but I found an old thread where it was said to be a replacement company and it did not have ersatz on the disc, but I assume the unit was known to be a replacement unit.

Stamm Kp.I.134
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Right- that's a weird one but it's fully recognizable if one is familiar with it. The Stammkompanie mark means it's an Ersatz unit of some type, the high Arabic number suggests an Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon, and the I. confirms that since there were only a couple that had a I. and II. section- IEB134 was one of them. The thing with that one is everything's left out- it's not just missing the 'Ersatz' part like the one asked about. Partial omission is not something I can recall ever seeing, so the text as posted is not at all normal.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...