Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog tag help

Article about: I had this dog tag given to me by an older lady in my church 50's ish who said she knew it was somehow WW2 related and since I liked that stuff I ought to have it. Is it a fake or an origina

Default Dog tag help

I had this dog tag given to me by an older lady in my church 50's ish who said she knew it was somehow WW2 related and since I liked that stuff I ought to have it. Is it a fake or an original? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dog tag help
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Dog tag help

Hello,

It's an original one. It belonged to:
    3./ Bb. 20 = 3. (Lichtmess-Batterie)/ Beobachtungs-Abteilung 20 - 3rd light-ranging battery/ 20th observation detachment
    Beobachtungs-Abteilung 20 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

THANKS SO Much. I've seen so many fakes on here and wanted to make sure. What does the 164 stand for? The soldiers personal number? Thanks

?

You are welcome!
    164 = soldier's number.

?

Sorry, but it couldn't be Bau-Bataillon.
    Bb. it's the only abbreviation from Beobachtungs. If there was B.B., then it would be Bau-Bataillon

?

Right- the dot clearly denotes 'Bb' as a single abbreviation, and Beobachtungs is the only one that fits. The disc is definitely real and quite nice- and being the field unit, not an Ersatz unit, and with a roll number under 200, it's likely this man was an original member of the unit- prior to the start of the war. There is some wear on the neck cord holes, suggesting it was worn for a time, but it's not a great deal so it doesn't appear to have been the entire war or anything; the lack of a blood group letter could support this. Its condition shows it wasn't dug up, so it might have belonged to a many who was either not in action for much of the war- maybe moved to a home front staff position or something, or, perhaps, was wounded and/or otherwise left the army. An example might be a fellow my Grandmother knew who also emigrated to Canada after the war- he was conscripted and initially served in an Artillerie unit, but because of his trade as an electrician I think it was, he was needed for a job in Germany and didn't actually see action- so his Soldbuch and Erkennungsmarke are in pristine condition.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I did get some information on the original owner and it appears he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class for wounds received on the western front. He was also awarded the black wound badge. I wish I had these but they were in a grouping that belonged to her husband who is desceased. The other items along with a soldbuch named to an "Lt. Arend Link" were given to family members.

?

Oh what a shame to break the grouping up- people know not what they do LOL

The Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz means he wasn't hurt badly enough to be discharged so there must be more to the story- or he just never got his disc stamped with a blood group and didn't wear it so much...

kornkrake
    ?

Subject closed.
    Last edited by kornkrake; 05-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.

?

Okay, I'll check into this- meanwhile both kornkrake and MrMosel are directed not to continue any commentary publicly; I won't close the thread, but I don't want any arguing or further posting on the matter korkrake has brought up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast