Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Dog Tag Real?

Article about: Hello, I'm new to this and could not find the font that was used on this disc anywhere on the web. Took a chance and bought it (not for much). Just wanted to see if it is genuine. ID # font

Default Dog Tag Real?

Hello,

I'm new to this and could not find the font that was used on this disc anywhere on the web. Took a chance and bought it (not for much). Just wanted to see if it is genuine.

ID # font is different from other font on tag, this is good, right?

Thanks in advance for members taking a look and giving their thoughts:

Dog Tag Real?Dog Tag Real?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dog Tag Real?
    P
    Many

?

Hi Endurokarter- welcome to the WRF

That's an interesting disc- the letter stamps are amazingly crude, but the numbers and the blood group letter look quite typical so I don't really see anything that makes me worried. It's not a special unit by any means, there's no sign of it being a newly-stamped old disc or any artificial age. Unfortunately I don't have any images either of other examples from GEB 76, so have nothing to compare this one to. The high roll number would suggest it's a later-war disc, so it might simply be that they needed new stamps and couldn't get anything decent so had to go with what they could- this really crude set.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks Matt L

So this tag was issued to soldier # 3248 in the Grenadier Replacement Battalion #76 ?

Link to what I found on this Battalion: Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 76 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Did this Battalion feed soldiers into Panzer Division 1? If you look at the very bottom of the following link it lists this Battalion: Panzergruppe 1 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Or did I search down the wrong path...

?

Yup, that's right and no, firstly it's the 1. Panzerarmee, which isn't the 1. Panzer-Division, plus there are a dozen other units listed so I'm not sure why you'd just key in on that one; it also says the 'Stäbe' of the first bunch of high-echelon units might have been supplied by GER 76 so not any of their regular combat sub-units if they had any. The guy was just a regular infantryman, so went to a Grenadier-Regiment most likely, and most of the time it was simply the one with the same number as his Ersatz unit: 76.

Thanks. Was just trying to figure out what regiment he fed into. I was told the tag was found via metal detector at what would have been the Kurland Front.

?

Well you'd have to look at all the units that were there and see if any fit with those listed; of course he could simply have transferred at some point and thus there's just no way to know what field unit he was in...

Attachment 643135

what about this one...? found in Volgograd near Gumrak