Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Dog Tag real or fake?

Article about: Hi, I'm new here, so I have a dog tag that I bought in Europe 3 years ago, so I would like if it is real or fake. I appreciate ur comments. Kindest regards.

Clover30
    ?

Default Dog Tag real or fake?

Hi, I'm new here, so I have a dog tag that I bought in Europe 3 years ago, so I would like if it is real or fake. I appreciate ur comments. Kindest regards.

Dog Tag real or fake?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dog Tag real or fake?   Dog Tag real or fake?  

2. # ADS

?

Hi Clover,

Welcome to the forum.

I have my doubts about this one for a bunch of reasons:

1) The unit text seems incomplete- it's properly SS-Totenkopf-Infanterie-Regiment, and I've been unable to find any indication they'd have ever been called just 'SS-Totenkopf-Regiment'.

2) there's no Kompanie number- this one purports to be one of the odd intermediate forms where the designation changed from having the Standarte/Regiment number first to it being last- but there is still usually a Kompanie number preceeding the Regiment number. I say usually because I haven't found any images of one from the 11th, and it isn't impossible that they simply used a Regiment-level roll not a Kompanie-level one- there's no evidence of it, it's just not strictly impossible.

3) There appears to be haloing- the lightish area around all the stamps on the front and all over the back; that can be an indication of an original disc with some patina on it having been stamped more recently- the impact of the stamping removing some of the patina.

4) There's the very odd lone 'SS' on the back- I can't recall having seen a disc with just that; it's usually SS-V.T., or SS-Verfügunstruppe, or Waffen-SS. The earlier form of these units- the SS-Totenkopf-Standarten- had SS-VT on them usually, so it's not that the type is before they became combat troops or anything, so I can't see any reason for just 'SS'. The blood group letter means it's not unissued stock of some odd sort.

Overall, I wouldn't touch this one myself. Tt's too bad you already bought it- I would've recommended leaving it be; I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

fake..

Clover30
    ?

thank you very much for your comments Matt are very valuable for me, I have another that is supposedly Aprika Korps, which I think also is false and not pay too much for both. Annex photo.

I have no photo of the back but has a swastika and aluminum plate.

Kurland're absolutely right.

Dog Tag real or fake?

I don't care for either of them, sorry...I would only consider a TK-tag with the familiar "Totenkopfstandarte", not regiment...
    cheers, Glenn

An old blank disc which has been "sexed up"!..

?

Quote by Clover30 View Post
    thank you very much for your comments Matt are very valuable for me, I have another that is supposedly Aprika Korps, which I think also is false and not pay too much for both. Annex photo.

I have no photo of the back but has a swastika and aluminum plate.
    No problem Clover- I'm happy to help. I don't much like that second one either- fakers very often use all capital, sans-serif font stamps like that, and being a rare unit like that makes it even more suspect. I couldn't say for sure it's bad without finding a known bad font that matches, but generally it looks very much like typical bad fonts.

Now do you mean there's a Swastika on the back of the disc?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...