Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog tag "SS OST" - good or not?

Article about: At another dealer, I found another interesting dog tag "SS OST". Thank you in advance for your reasonable assessment. Regards Jarek

?

Default Dog tag "SS OST" - good or not?

At another dealer, I found another interesting dog tag "SS OST". Thank you in advance for your reasonable assessment.

Regards
    Jarek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dog tag  "SS  OST"  - good or not?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dog tag  "SS  OST"  - good or not?
    P
    Many

?

Based on this photograph it will be hard to give an honest opinion. For me personally the details are not visible enough to give you any advice.
    Perhaps you can ask the seller for better photos?

Regards, Rik

It appears to belong to 1st Kompanie SS Ersatz Bataillon Ost, formed 1942. I have seen others to different kompanies without the siegrunes double S. The layout looks comparable with known originals. Anyone else have a similar example to post up?

?

Thank you for opinion. Personally, I gave the dog tag a high chance of originality.

Regards
    Jarek

i don´t like this one.

?

I think we have original examples elsewhere on the forum to compare .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I'm been collecting dog tags for almost a year and a half (it's not long - before writing the monograph about crosses EK2-1939 in Poland, I dealt with the topic for almost 8 years).
    I collect dog tags WW1 and WW2 with place names from Silesia and Lusatia and WW2 - the so-called "eastward" (Lett, Lit, Estn, Azerb, Georg, Ukr, Russ, HL, Frw, Hiwi, ... etc).
    In Poland and the east there are at least a few really knowledgeable collectors (I have contact with some), but I also decided to verify certain items in official forums. I admit, however, that I am "terrified" because of divergence of opinion and sometimes (IMO) lack of grounds (experience) for people speaking in the discussion.
    One of the cited discussions is a good example of this:
    SS Lettisch Erkennungsmarke

Despite 58 years, I am still learning and I have a lot of humility, which, unfortunately, is lacking for some appraisers - IMO, and please, no be angry.

Regards
    Jarek

?

When erkennungsmarken are posted for discussion, you might not always get the answers you like. And yes the best things to do is explain why we think an emarke is good or not. But if an appreciated member like Meskalin or Paul D tells you that an example is no good, you can trust them. They know what they are talking about.

The most important thing IMO is learning from each other and sharing our 'love' for erkennungsmarken.

Regards, Rik

?

I agree in 100%.
    My reflection is general and does not apply to specific people. Over the past two weeks I have read "back" posts and discussions in the WRF forum, and hence my conclusions.
    This is a reflection on the divergence of assessments ("yes" or "no") without further justification, and unfortunately not always accurate...

Dog tags that I give on WRF for evaluation are not mine, but taken only from the western pages of dealers (Germany, France, the Netherlands...)

Regards
    Jarek

It is a two way street Jarek, for the Ekm in this thread you ask for opinions, get some and then admit yourself that you think it has a high chance of being original, but don't elaborate as to why?

And also just because a dealer site has several erkennungsmarken with the same spurious unit on them it does not necessarily make them original.

Clear pictures always help, if you ask dealers to provide a flat on view rather than pictures at an angle then hopefully we can read the legend stamped clearly. There are alot of fakes about, far more than there used to be and some are so good they can catch even the seasoned collector out.

Happy collecting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast