Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Erkennungsmarke 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.178

Article about: Hello guys, i got this "Erkennungsmarke" last week from my uncle.It is the ID disc of his father,the brother of my grandmother.I talk sometimes with my uncle about the time of ww2

Default Erkennungsmarke 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.178

Hello guys,

i got this "Erkennungsmarke" last week from my uncle.It is the ID disc of his father,the brother of my grandmother.I talk sometimes with my uncle about the time of ww2 and the military history of members out of our family.

I ask him also about the way of his father,but the exactly way of his war history it is not easy to research.He could me only say,that his father fought in Stalingrad and was wounded there.He could leave Stalingrad with one of the last planes before the airfield in Stalingrad was closed.The Wehrpaß is lost,but the Soldbuch is still in the hands of my uncle.But in the Soldbuch i could nothing find about the war places he was fighting.

He was also a member of the SA since the early years and i have a lot`s of "Abzeichen" of the "Parteitage","1.Mai" and so one.

It is my first Erkennungsmarke,i am not a collector of them,but i was lucky as my uncle give me this.

Regards
    Joachim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erkennungsmarke 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.178  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarke 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.178
    P
    Many

Default Re: Erkennungsmarke 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.178

Very nice and all the better if it was free!...

A wonderful family treasure, thank you for sharing! How I wish I had something from my Unteroffizier grandfather...although I have a Heer-marked soup bowl from my german grandmother which she picked up from her brother's Kaserne during a visit...Some things aren't for sale, they are to be cherished!
    cheers, Glenn

Fine that you like it guy`s.When i get the Soldbuch one time,i will it also post here.Maybe i can sign the military way of him one time?Nice to hear Glenn,that you have a family history in Deutschland.Shame that you have nothing of your grandfather.I know for example nothing about the father of my dad.Only that he was also SA member,but nothing about the war itself.He talk never with my father about the war.

The military group of my other grandfather is in my hands.I am the only guy in my family,who is interested in military history.They can not understand,that i spend my time and money for this hobby.However,i am always lucky when i can get a piece out of the family.

?

Nice piece of family history ,

Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thank you for the link Paul E!

Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 178

Aufgestellt am 26. August 1939 in Kornwestheim durch die Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 25. Am 1. April1 940 in
    Panzerjäger-Abteilung 178 umbenannt. Am 25. November 1940 wurde die 2. Kompanie an die Panzerjäger-Abteilung 305 abgegeben. Am 1. April 1942 in
    Schnelle Abteilung 178 umbenannt und mit der Aufklärungs-Abteilung 178 verschmolzen. Am 9. Januar 1943 wieder geteilt und in
    Panzerjäger-Abteilung 178 umbenannt und mit zwei Kompanien Selbstfahrlafetten ausgestattet. Im Juni 1944 bei Orscha vernichtet.
    Neu aufgestellt am 25. September 1944 in Mielau aus der Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 1178 und der Fla-Kompanie 178.

That`s fitting.I live near Stuttgart and Kornwestheim is a part of Stuttgart.He fought also in other groups.The Soldbuch will me tell more i hope.I try to visite my uncle at the weekend.

?

Great story, thanks for sharing! You are the relaive, maybe you can ask authorities dor his military records?

Jan

Quote by Jan S View Post
    Great story, thanks for sharing! You are the relaive, maybe you can ask authorities dor his military records?

Jan
    Hi Jan,

i think that can only make my uncle.But thanks for the idea!

?

Very nice Joachim- you're lucky to have something like that. My Oma's brother was captured by the Soviets at the end of the war so everything he had is gone- I was lucky enough to find another Erkennungsmarke from the very same unit he joined though, so it's close. He too narrowly escaped the Kessel at Stalingrad- he was on leave when the city was surrounded and couldn't get back in to his unit.

Service records that still exist can be obtained by relatives from the Deutsche Dienststelle- although you may be correct that it may be only certain people who can apply; my Dad had to have my Oma apply because she was the closest living relative I think it was. But it's an easy process- there's a small fee and they'll send you a letter with all the information they have.

One thing I can tell you just based on the Erkennungsmarke- because it's 'Panzer-Abwehr' and not 'Panzerjäger' and because of the very low Stammrollennummer, it's clear your Großonkel joined the unit very early- the term 'Panzerjäger' replaced 'Panzer-Abwehr' in March 1940, and an Ersatz Kompanie had more than 31 men in it, so it would seem he was in the very first 1. Kompanie.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi Matt,

thank you very much for your informative words to the "Erkennungsmarke" of my Großonkel.Thats´s really a great background for me!And also thank`s for your family history.

Kind Regards
    Joachim