MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Fake Challenge V

Article about: I know you've all missed them, so here's one more This disc is a fake- any ideas why?

?

Default Fake Challenge V

I know you've all missed them, so here's one more

This disc is a fake- any ideas why?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake Challenge V  
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Challenge V
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Fake Challenge V

There are four issues actually- first no Kompanie, which while not impossible, is not usual at all- everyone belonged to a Kompanie as the smallest organized unit type. Second is that 'A. UE' is odd too since there's a dot after nearly everything, and yet not after 'U' or 'E' where they would belong since these are both abbreviations. Further to that, the dot after the Sigrunen is odd. So just those little issues would be enough to cast a lot of doubt on the authenticity of this piece- but none of them is the clear problem-

The significant error is a very simple one: no Umlaut over the A in 'JAG'- it should be 'JÄG', something no German would get wrong and something fakers do rather commonly

It's just one more example of an easy way to recognize a fake by just looking at the abbreviations, their order, and punctuation.

is there a good list to refer back to on nomenclature of german acronyms?

?

I don't know of an online one- there's one in Jean Höidal's book and I've assembled one myself but that's all. You can really see the majority of regular army ones on the discs on that site I suggested. I generally recommend that people start their own lists using any definitely authentic disc they see- save the images too (real and fake) as databases can be of great use.

i am going to do that, it'll take me awhile, if i need some sources can i ask you matt?

?

Well I don't know any significant sources beyond those I've already mentioned, but I'm always happy to look up anything or evaluate anything anyone cares to post about or you can contact me directly by PM or email.

would it be ok to use all the info you post about erkennungsmarken to make my origianl vs fake refrence guide?

?

Oh of course- anything posted in public should be free game to save and learn from.