Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake Challenge VII

Article about: by SatansCabanaBoy Next, I read on this forum, and I must apologize, I could not find the post...about the broken lower case "a" being a give away for a fake. I see on this tag, a

?

Default Fake Challenge VII

Okay, who has an idea what's wrong with this disc?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake Challenge VII  
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Challenge VII
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Fake Challenge VII

No idea ) thank god I dont collect these.. have a few original Finnish ones of course.

Rgds Jan

Hi Matt, can't find anything outright so I'm looking at your other posts. You are definitely putting us to school with these challenges, thanks for your efforts! Best way in the world to learn.

Jay

?

The "HG" lokks like it was added later. It also appears to be a different font.

Mike

?

You got it Mike- that's the problem; the disc itself is original- a nice, worn example of a motor transport replacement Batterie of the Artillerie-Regiment (motorisiert) 3, ruined by some scumbag who added the stupid "HG" to, on some distant planet, make it look like it's from the Hermann Göring despite already being indicated to belong to another Regiment. Dumbass. So it's value is significantly decreased- not that it was worth a great deal to begin with since motor transport is to most hardly an interesting combat type of unit...

Anyway, as Mike rightly pointed out, the 'HG' is clearly newer than the main text since it has no coloration inside the letters, and they're actually shiny compared to the rest of the disc, definitely showing they were stamped long after it acquired its patina.

Question:

The lines under the script...was that common for WW2 tags? I see that on WW1 tags a lot.

?

No, it's not common- I think I've only seen it a very few times. I have only a few WWI Erkennungsmarken- really two or three of each of the major types- so I don't know just how common lines were, but it's certainly understandable they would be given the sometimes extreme amount of text; trying to keep lines and lines and lines straight would be a nightmare LOL

I would say is false because the identification numbers of soldier in the bottom are not aligned with the hole and are printed on one side, I think something common in Fakes.
    They are also different letters HG.
    Although the wear of the two holes is good
    Attached Images Attached Images Fake Challenge VII 

There are a few other things that I see..but I am not sure how relevant.

The first being the different type for HG, which has been mentioned.
    The second would be the etched lined to keep type set a line. I have not seen that on a TR tag before...but I believe it's possible.

Next, I read on this forum, and I must apologize, I could not find the post...about the broken lower case "a" being a give away for a fake. I see on this tag, a broken lower case "r" and "t".
    Are there fakes out there with this aspect? Or is this normal wear on the punch?

I also see one of the abbreviation dots is more squarish than the others. Not sure if this is a hint to a fake -because why would the records person have two punches for the same thing? or if it was an awl type of punch, why would one be different that the rest?
    -or was it a double strike?

There is another point that leads me to believe that this original tag has been tampered with would be the wear marks through the holes that have a chain or cord pass through. Ive been trying to think how a cord would pass through there and mark the disc like that... at the top, and bottom of the hole..?

also...it seems odd that on this particular tag, there was enough space remaining for an HG to be put in, and it still looks spaced out correctly. Could the tag have been erased at that spot, or filled in, and the HG put over top? The one G looks again like a double strike, or something else happened there..?

just my two cents...

I'm starting to get into collecting tags, Canadian mostly, so this is really interesting to me.

thanks cats.
    ScB
    Attached Images Attached Images Fake Challenge VII 

?

Quote by javimetal View Post
    I would say is false because the identification numbers of soldier in the bottom are not aligned with the hole and are printed on one side, I think something common in Fakes.
    They are also different letters HG.
    Although the wear of the two holes is good
    That's true, but in this case it's not wrong since the disc is actually real- save the HG mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast