Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fake Dog Tags ?

Article about: Hi guys I'm new to this forum.So I have these dog tags and I would like to know if they are fake. Yeah I also have these tags.. I'll upload my other dog tags in the next couple of days

Default Re: Fake Dog Tags ?

one thing to remember - metal never wears out evenly and stampings are never perfect (same depth).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Dog Tags ?
    P
    Many

?

Yes, the MOB code disc looks polished, but it's probably just been polished LOL Lots of people think it's a nice way to make a disc more saleable despite it being a bad idea to mess with patina. I have a bunch of such aluminum discs that are shiny on the front and have their proper age patina on the back. It says nothing about the authenticity- there's no such thing as too nice, save if it has to fit with a story; i.e., if something's claimed to have been dug up but is perfect, well that's weird LOL And there's nothing suspicious about the NSKK's patina either- I have several zinc discs that have that kind of look. It may be something that can result from artificial means, but it's hardly impossible real conditions can cause that same look. The Volkssturm one doesn't look suspicious to me and I've collected and studied discs for more than 10 years now- plus I work with sheet metal too It's simply not something worth faking so there's no good reason to suspect it is. Certainly not without compelling evidence. Patina is one of the lowest pieces of circumstantial evidence and at best can raise suspicion, but it doesn't prove anything because natural conditions can cause a lot of weird and varied patination. There's virtually nothing that one can say is ONLY artificial.

The new one, the Panzer Ersatz one, is real. So it's just the Panzer-Regiment one that's definitely bad.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

last night only the Pzr Rgt EKM was shown. didnt see the others. But, yeah, the Pzr Rgt. tag is not good.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Yes, the MOB code disc looks polished, but it's probably just been polished LOL Lots of people think it's a nice way to make a disc more saleable despite it being a bad idea to mess with patina. I have a bunch of such aluminum discs that are shiny on the front and have their proper age patina on the back. It says nothing about the authenticity- there's no such thing as too nice, save if it has to fit with a story; i.e., if something's claimed to have been dug up but is perfect, well that's weird LOL And there's nothing suspicious about the NSKK's patina either- I have several zinc discs that have that kind of look. It may be something that can result from artificial means, but it's hardly impossible real conditions can cause that same look. The Volkssturm one doesn't look suspicious to me and I've collected and studied discs for more than 10 years now- plus I work with sheet metal too It's simply not something worth faking so there's no good reason to suspect it is. Certainly not without compelling evidence. Patina is one of the lowest pieces of circumstantial evidence and at best can raise suspicion, but it doesn't prove anything because natural conditions can cause a lot of weird and varied patination. There's virtually nothing that one can say is ONLY artificial.

The new one, the Panzer Ersatz one, is real. So it's just the Panzer-Regiment one that's definitely bad.
    interesting points but it would be nice to see them in person
    we would have a common subject to be discussed over few beers :-)

?

Oh sure- in person is always better

And yeah- too bad it was 30 years ago that I lived nearby LOL
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2