Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake SS tag?

Article about: Had this for years and I always assumed it was a fake, but I took some pictures and thought I would get an informed opinion, as these are not my area, ID discs or SS. I would not expect it t

Default Fake SS tag?

Had this for years and I always assumed it was a fake, but I took some pictures and thought I would get an informed opinion, as these are not my area, ID discs or SS. I would not expect it to be made from steel and I would think it should be E & A, not A & E. Sorry if the pics are not great, but I think they are good enough for those in the know to offer an opinion, if not I can try again next time we get some sunshine!

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Regards,

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake SS tag?   Fake SS tag?  

Fake SS tag?   Fake SS tag?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake SS tag?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Fake SS tag?

The 'A u E' stands for 'training and replacement' I believe so no problem there, as for authenticity I'll leave that to Matt and others. I like it personally but i'm often wrong on these things. The steel manufacture is a worry though.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The 'A u E' stands for 'training and replacement' I believe so no problem there, as for authenticity I'll leave that to Matt and others. I like it personally but i'm often wrong on these things. The steel manufacture is a worry though.
    Thanks Glenn66, though I knew it stands for Ausbildung & Ersatz, but normally they are written in the other order, Ersatz & Ausbildung.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

One of my SS tags has AuE.

Fake SS tag?

One of my SS tags has AuE.

Fake SS tag?
    Thanks for showing that tag, when I first got mine I looked up German units and all of the lists I looked at only showed it as E&A. Is yours made from steel? As I said, mine is made from steel, but I suppose I meant it is from a ferrous metal of some sort, maybe iron instead, though I thought they were made from some sort of alloy unless they were for panzer units. It shows how little I know about these.

Regards and thanks again,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

I'm not sure what mine is made from, I assume zinc but it does look kind of reddish in the corrosion.

I'm not sure what mine is made from, I assume zinc but it does look kind of reddish in the corrosion.
    That's why I asked, looks like ferrous corrosion in the pic.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Actually a little online research has shown that steel was used as erkunnegsmarken material from around 1944 onwards. I guess even zinc was getting scarce then!

Actually a little online research has shown that steel was used as erkunnegsmarken material from around 1944 onwards. I guess even zinc was getting scarce then!
    Thanks again Glenn for your help on this.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Any one else have an opinion to offer? I would greatly appreciate any that are forthcoming. I bought this long before I joined any online forums and I tried to research it then and I have spent the last day looking through old threads (here and on other forums) but I am still not certain either way.

No blood group, so never issued, no company number which is possibly a problem and being made of steel might be a problem, but not always. I can't see that it has any of the obvious font or stamping issues, but I am not that informed on these and any help would be great.

Regards and thanks to all who have looked.

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast