Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323 (218 infanterie-division)

Article about: I'd like to share this recently bought ID disc from the Courland (Kurland) front. I've had some good feedback from moderators and experienced users on my collection and am looking for any fe

These are what can be called best practices for collectors in general. Lessons learned for anyone who collects erkennungmarkes. In this case, the seller has backed up what he claimed with evidence from the dig site, provided a location where they were found at the position of the 218. All of which can be fabricated, but the benefit of the doubt so far is pointing toward legitimacy, unless under closer examination the contrary must be considered.

There are many other examples on this forum where your 'smell test' applies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs up + 323 i.r. 318 ekm

Hello all my friends.

This is my latest collection. (Infanterie Regiment 323)

MfG
    S.W.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)   Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)  

?

After reading through this thread again I have some questions.
    If this unit was already constituted in 1939, how is it possible that al the EKM found are so crisp and have a low roll number?
    I understand that they could have been unissued, but still I would think that at the end of the war there would have been higher roll numbers.

Then I found some info about Infanterie Regiment 323 and I saw that there is a 9. Kompanie listed, but it was from the constitution of the Regiment I think up to 1944. From 1944 onward there is no 9. Kompanie listed. The EKM from 9. Kompanie said to be found in the Kurland pocket, are also very crisp and look unissued. I would expect that these would long have been issued in the years the 9. Kompanie was active, so what could be the reason these EKM have been with the unit so long without being used?
    I posted the link regarding the Regiment.

Das Infanterie-Regiment 323 / Grenadier-Regiment 323 der 218. Infanterie-Division

Thank you in advance for your help and answers.

Regards, Rik

?

Quote by Dschop View Post

but it was from the constitution of the Regiment I think up to 1944. From 1944 onward there is no 9. Kompanie listed. The EKM from 9. Kompanie said to be found in the Kurland pocket, are also very crisp and look unissued. I would expect that these would long have been issued in the years the 9. Kompanie was active, so what could be the reason these EKM have been with the unit so long without being used?
    I posted the link regarding the Regiment.

Das Infanterie-Regiment 323 / Grenadier-Regiment 323 der 218. Infanterie-Division

Thank you in advance for your help and answers.

Regards, Rik

22.07.1944 - III. wird in I. umbenannt (Sommer 1942 - I. Bataillon wird aufgelöst)
    -> 9.komp unit transfer BtL I. mit 1. ~ 4. Kompanie

In any case old dog tags were used.

Only when a soldier lost his dog tag (this was quite common situation, about 10-20% soldiers lost their dog tags), a soldier received a new one (from unit name in which he was in that moment), which was noted in his Wehrpass / Soldbuch.

Fair enough to query the 9th Kompanie, but of course just because it did not exist in the Summer of '44 there is no reason why someone from the 9th kompanie should not still have his original Ekm even though the unit no longer exists in the organisational table.

?

Now, Soldat nummer "319" EKM Sale on Ebay!?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-dog-...-/112730204149
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)   Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)  

?

If you compare this one with the ones shown in post #16 you will see this is the same ekm with rollnumber 319. Look at the rust stains and you will see what I mean.
    So I think nothing is wrong with this ekm.

Regards, Rik

?

Quote by Dschop View Post
    Look at the rust stains and you will see what I mean.

Regards, Rik
    Ok, I understood! thanks for your comment!

MfG,
    S.W.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4