Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Font offset?

Article about: Hello All, I have seen many post about these Erkennungs and was wondering why, when I look at these they seem to be miss matched stamping when the info was applied? Now my old dogtags (Jarhe

?

Default Font offset?

Hello All,
    I have seen many post about these Erkennungs and was wondering why, when I look at these they seem to be mismatched stampings when the info was applied? Now my old dogtags (Jarhead) were even and the stamping were all the same font. But when I look at what is posted here they are a mixed font.

I'm just trying to learn something here , which is what this this site is about. Even though I have thick skin, please be gentle in your replies

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Font offset?
    P
    Many

Photos?

?

Phil,

EKM's were generally marked with a unit level designation first. Later when the disk was issued it would be stamped with the blood group an roll number for the soldier. These two stamp sets would almost never be the same. In the field sometimes "replacement" disks were made and these would be the same stamp set unless the unit had a bunch of pre-stamped tags for re-issue. Some stamp sets would be missing a letter or something and they used a replacement letter that would look odd. Your tags were made on a machine, most German WW II tags were stamped by hand one letter at a time.
    I hope that helps!

?

Phil,

One other note, the German abbreviations usually have upper and lower case letters in them as the norm so that is also quite different.