Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag

Article about: Hello I brought this in the summer. I began to search to find out who was the soldier behind this Tag. I find out and now i'm in contact with his family. I'm going to visit them very soon to

Default Re: Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag

Well, not all ID-tags come from fallen soldiers. And in many cases it was much better faith to be killed in combat then to die in Soviet prison camp. Actually many SS-members never reached prison camp but were murdered after surrender. Only a few prisoners from years 1941-1944 ever came back home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag
    P
    Many

New update to this story.
    I have got some papers from the danish archiv and i have visited the family to the man.

So this i a very interesting story, as you know the tag is found in the Narva area, but according the german list he is missing in Lidakas in Latvia.
    According to the family and the papers from the archiv, he is taken POW by the russians... So he maybe ended up in a Gulag camp.
    Now i'm searching in the Russian archiv to get more informations.
    If anyone have documents or informations about the battle at Lidakas in Latvia the 23/9 1944(There he is taken POW) i will be very happy.

?

Excellent work it is not that often that you can research an Erkennungsmarke to this extent
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Lidakas is situated just North west of Baldone in Latvia and formed part of Danmarks frontline when the Nordland Divison was defending against the advance of the Russians towards Riga , the new front was established in fighting between the 23rd-26th September 1944.

Danmark was actually under the command of the 14 Panzer Divison during this fighting, they carried out an attack on the Russian positions on the 23rd at 0700 and by 10.30 had capturted Lidakas the main stay of the attack and the defence operations that followed to hold Lidakas were 6 and 11 Kompanie Danmark . During the heavy fighting here the Regiment lost 300 men.

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

He could have fled the front and in order to not to be discovered, threw out the tabs and their uniform may have been changed to civilian clothes. Maybe he was discovered by the Russians and was executed without documents. As the own Kepi Blanc said he went to the front wanting to know new places and when he saw that things were not like that, he tried to flee.
    regards

?

Quote by Consonecollector View Post
    He could have fled the front and in order to not to be discovered, threw out the tabs and their uniform may have been changed to civilian clothes. Maybe he was discovered by the Russians and was executed without documents. As the own Kepi Blanc said he went to the front wanting to know new places and when he saw that things were not like that, he tried to flee.
    regards
    Not really sure where that scenario fits in here ??

1st July 1916

?

The dog tag was found in other place, not the position marked on the map.
    The Stabs, 9 and 11 Kp was almost KIA, and survived over the hell could lost on the field not even the dogtags, approx 80% of them lost their lifes there...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Yes the tag came from the Front lines where very heavy combat took place not where the photo says which was a forest rest camp and HQ.

1st July 1916

very interesting history.......thanks

Thanks for your replies.

Yes that is a very interesting story.
    Paul thanks for the infos about the battle at Lidakas.
    Did RGT 24 lost 300 men at the battle at Lidakas (23-26/9) ??

According to the family to the missing man, and in the papers from the danish archiv he was taken by the Russians.
    In the papers from 1946 the archiv had written 'that he probaly is in Russia or Germany' here ends my search so far.
    But i'm hoping to get in hand of the papers from the KGB archiv, they have the names of the 697 danes who was in Russian captivity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast