Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag

Article about: Hello I brought this in the summer. I began to search to find out who was the soldier behind this Tag. I find out and now i'm in contact with his family. I'm going to visit them very soon to

Default Re: Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag

Congratulations for the research Kepi Blanc! I know that my opinion was really mad, but I don't understand why it doesn't fits here? If the soldier went to the war expecting something new, I presume that he was really young to think like this. I am young too, just like he was and I would like to go to the war just like him. But I know that the front is not that good. Probably, he tried to scape (for fear, or missing his family) from the front, millions of soldiers did it. And if we think about the fled, we will ask ourselfs: "Why does not he came back to denmark?". This question makes me think: "Maybe he was killed!". As I said, it can be crazy, but make sense too. And I can't see why it doesn't fits here.
    regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freikorps Danemark SS dog tag
    P
    Many

You are right that many German soldiers just went home in 1944/45 when war was already in Germany but it is very hard to belive it happened in Estonia or Latvia in 1944. Just there was nowhere to run - Soviets were moving very fast and if You will look at the map Estonia and also Latvia (Kurland) were just like a traps for germans in 1944 september till may 1945. It was almost impossible to run away from the frontline and if you were a member of some ss-division it was also almost impossible to surrender because very often these soldiers were not sent to POW camp but were murdered at once.

?

If he fled from the front in Estonia leaving his Erkennungsmarke in the frontline trenches what was he doing back with the same unit at the Front when he was captured in Latvia ? As Frundsburg says on the Tannenburg line on the Sinimaed of Estonia there was nowhere to run too !! He was one of the very lucky ones to survive the heavy close combat east of the Kinderheim as Dimas has stated 80% of the men from the Danmark companies here were KIA,WIA,MIA or captured , they were surrounded and cut off the only place to run was into further combat on the remainder of the Sinimaed.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Kepi Blanc View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes that is a very interesting story.
    Paul thanks for the infos about the battle at Lidakas.
    Did RGT 24 lost 300 men at the battle at Lidakas (23-26/9) ??

According to the family to the missing man, and in the papers from the danish archiv he was taken by the Russians.
    In the papers from 1946 the archiv had written 'that he probaly is in Russia or Germany' here ends my search so far.
    But i'm hoping to get in hand of the papers from the KGB archiv, they have the names of the 697 danes who was in Russian captivity.
    Yes the casualties and MIA for Danmark was 300 men for this period 23-26 September 1944.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Hey,

just scrolled through this thread, and wondered about the outcome of your research?

According to the family to the missing man, and in the papers from the danish archiv he was taken by the Russians.
    In the papers from 1946 the archiv had written 'that he probaly is in Russia or Germany' here ends my search so far.
    But i'm hoping to get in hand of the papers from the KGB archiv, they have the names of the 697 danes who was in Russian captivity.
    The russian archives are'nt always correct and there were actually more danish pow's than the official number. When the danish pow's were gradually released after Stalin's death(last one was Erik Herløv Nielsen in 1953) most of them was interviewed about their knowledge of fellow danish pows by the danish police. So if you didnt find out more yet there is a possibility to check these police reports which you can find in the danish archives (rigsarkivet), dont remember the specific name though, and also you still need to apply for permission.

rgds

Mads

Hello Mads.

Finnally i can end the story behind the man who had the tag.
    As i mentiod he went missing in action at Lidakas in Latvia 23 september 1944.

I have seen documents at the archiv over the POW in Russia, but he had not been in Captivity in Russia. He name figured at some documents that he could be in POW, but he had not been.
    So i dont belive that i will find out what happend excatly with him.
    But all in all it had been very very interesting to find out what had happend to him. I have seen a lot of Documents from RUssian, German and danish archivs.
    I'm in contact with his family from where i got some very interesting informations.
    The mising soldier were in 11 Kp of Rgt Danmark.
    I know an 93 year old veteran from Rgt Danmark who also were in 11 Kp, but he can not remember one with his name.
    By the way the veteran spent 1 1/2 year in Russian Captivity.
    His first front combat was in Craotia in 1943 and he was with in Narva and the Tannemberg where he got wounded.
    He also received the EKII.
    I'm going to Narva with him in September, he said that his last wish is to come to Narva, and in a little month we are going there.

?

Quote by Kepi Blanc View Post
    Hello Mads.

Finnally i can end the story behind the man who had the tag.
    As i mentiod he went missing in action at Lidakas in Latvia 23 september 1944.

I have seen documents at the archiv over the POW in Russia, but he had not been in Captivity in Russia. He name figured at some documents that he could be in POW, but he had not been.
    So i dont belive that i will find out what happend excatly with him.
    But all in all it had been very very interesting to find out what had happend to him. I have seen a lot of Documents from RUssian, German and danish archivs.
    I'm in contact with his family from where i got some very interesting informations.
    The mising soldier were in 11 Kp of Rgt Danmark.
    I know an 93 year old veteran from Rgt Danmark who also were in 11 Kp, but he can not remember one with his name.
    By the way the veteran spent 1 1/2 year in Russian Captivity.
    His first front combat was in Craotia in 1943 and he was with in Narva and the Tannemberg where he got wounded.
    He also received the EKII.
    I'm going to Narva with him in September, he said that his last wish is to come to Narva, and in a little month we are going there.
    That's great Lars i hope you will be able to get some good photos !! You know the exact location of the 11 Kompanie positions ? If not i can help you with maps / photos etc !

1st July 1916

Hey Kepi,

nice to hear the end of the story, and interesting that you have a veteran friend. Im currently trying find out as much as possible about a family member, who was in 3 kp, I know chances are low but could I get you to ask your friend if he knew my family member? By the way do you know any other veterans?

best regards

Mads

I dont know other veterans who are alive.
    I have been visiting about 10-15 veterans over the last 10 years.

About the veteran, i have documents from the Russian, danish and German archiv about his captivity in Russia, Denmark and the medals he received.

Wound Badge in Silver.
    Inf assault badge
    EKII
    Tank destruction badge
    His last rang was Rottenführer

?

Lars i have your message and will be in touch by e mail with more details of the 11 Kompanie !!

1st July 1916

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3