Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Freikorps Danmark Tag Original ??

Article about: What do you think of this ?? In my eyes copy

Default Freikorps Danmark Tag Original ??

What do you think of this ??

In my eyes copy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps Danmark Tag Original ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freikorps Danmark Tag Original ??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Freikorps Danmark Tag Original ??

It's hard to say- notice how there appears to be a light speckling in the areas of the text- that initally made me think fake, but then it's not the obvious 'halo' one gets on a recently-stamped original, patinated blank. It is a bit odd to have a disc with such a low number but no obvious wear on it too but that's hardly conclusive either- some men never did front service, so wouldn't wear their discs the same way.

I actually have an image of a fake of this unit, 2. KP also amazingly enough, and it's extremely close but not quite identical- I compared the letters and there are tiny differences. Also the Sigrunen are different it has quotation marks around "DANMARK" and the Stammrollennummer is placed on the lower line not above the unit text. It seems odd to me that a faker would change these significant elements- they're usually quite consistent; and why would someone make such a good copy and not also copy these obvious elements? It's strange.

I can't demonstrate anything conclusive myself, but knowing these exact ones are faked and one that is definitely bad (it has the clear 'halo') is so close, I'd be wary of this one- it could be good and the fake just a very close copy, or it could be another one and the differences I spotted having some other explanation.
    Last edited by Matt L; 12-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Any info on the original owner of this designated tag Lars ?

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hello

Many thanks for your great detailed answer.
    I think i will pass on it.

Paul, i dont have so many informations about it. Seller says it was found in a POW camp.

?

Sure thing and that's probably best- unless an uncertain piece is quite cheap and thus worth the risk, or is 99% certain to be real, I always advise passing. This one's dubious to be sure and I'd be surprised if it's cheap enough to take a chance on. These foreign SS formations are rare and very desirable so they're faked a lot...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...