Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German dogtag - info needed

Article about: Hello, Someone I know found following german dogtag in Belgium. Can somebody tell us more about this dogtag ? Is it possible to find a name of the soldier by the tagnumber ? Many thanks for

Josh
    ?

Default German dogtag - info needed

Hello,

Someone I know found following german dogtag in Belgium. Can somebody tell us more about this dogtag ? Is it possible to find a name of the soldier by the tagnumber ?

Many thanks for your help !!

Kind regards,
    Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images German dogtag - info needed 

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: German dogtag - info needed

The name can be known only by Volksbund representative, you just can get the infomation about the fallen or not soldier and the place and date.
    The inscription means Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung ( Communication troops)
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Josh
    ?

Hello Dimas,

Thank you for your reply ! Can you give me an email or something from the Volksbund representative ? The guy who found it told me the place where he found it and some information about the battle over there.

It would be wonderful to find maybe family of the soldier to give back the dogtag ...

Any information about the Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung 1 or any other information about this case would be very helpfull !

Greetings,
    Josh

?

Josh just search for " Volksbund" on the internet . As far as returning the tag to the family goes the Volksbund will only be interested in the details on it if it was found with a body so the body could be identified , was it found with a body ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Schnaps
    ?

Josh
    ?

Thank you all for the info !

The dogtag was found with a metal detector so no body was found. It was found in the context of 'The Battle of the Scheldt - Operation Switchback'

In that area a lot of military things are found ( bullets, artefacts, etc ).

So, if I understand well, I need to send an email to the Volksbund with a little history about the find, a picture of the dogtag ? And ask them if they can give us some more information about this dogtag ?

Anybody can give me a link to pictures of the Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung 1 ?

Many thanks !
    Josh

?

[QUOTE=Josh;93469]Thank you all for the info !

So, if I understand well, I need to send an email to the Volksbund with a little history about the find, a picture of the dogtag ? And ask them if they can give us some more information about this dogtag ?

Yes that is the way to do it Josh , don't expect a quick reply it sometimes takes about 6 months !!!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

There likely won't be any photos of the unit- it's a replacement unit, for training recruits, not a field unit. Thus the only photos may be from the men who ran it, and those would be personal keepsakes more than anything.

The Volksbund won't give you any information unless you're family- service records are still protected by privacy laws. And although it's a nice idea Josh, they're likely not to be interested in a half disc just dug up- these are found by the dozen daily and are virtually all just thrown away at the end of the war; the Volksbund's mission is to identify missing soldiers, so like was already said, they deal with remains. A lone disc can't help clear up an MIA case. They could possibly, if records exist, locate the owner's family and return it to them, however their funding is so minimal, they can't even deal with the actual cases of located remains that could be identified, so likely wouldn't go through the exercise of finding the owner of a disc...