Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German dogtag - What a coincidence !

Article about: Hi Monkey, WOW!! What a stunning debut!! I love reading this sort of stuff!! Well done sir, Ned.

Default Re: German dogtag - What a coincidence !

Hi Monkey,

WOW!! What a stunning debut!! I love reading this sort of stuff!!

Well done sir, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images German dogtag - What a coincidence ! 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German dogtag - What a coincidence !
    P
    Many

?

The Nr on the RGt Westland and Rgt Nordland means number
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Nice research Monkey, but i have a stupid question, if he was killed in a staffing run on 17th June, how come the tag ended up in the UK on an airfield?......................................... ....

Perhaps i've missed something, or lost something

sokkmonkey

Excellent information ..... thanks !

That certainly ties in with what we know of the other dog tag. Seems both guys were in Normandy.

I am more of the opinion now that, seeing as I found the half of the dogtag that would have been removed on the death of a soldier, that the reason they were snapped in half and left in England was that a soldier who was a POW had TAKEN both from his dead comrades, with a view to reporting them KIA. However, he got captured before he could do anything with the dog tags and later, in the POW camp, tossed them to one side after snapping them in half.

Just my thoughts ..........

Steve T

PS John - I don't think monkey was implying that the feller killed in the strafing run was the OWNER of my dogtag......it was general information on the unit (looks like he copy and pasted it from another document)

Steve,

What a wonderful find, and an entirely plausible explanation for the half a tag being at the site.

Is there any way to check with the German Archives, re the late owner of your tag?

History comes alive with your threads

Best regards,

Grant

For a complete picture I have attached the other dog tag I found.

Remember these were both found in an area where German POWs were housed on an English airbase.

You will note that this has been snapped in half along the same line as the previous one, and is the 'bottom' half of the tag.

This one Ade kindly tracked down to 13 Kompanie/Fallschirmjäger Regiment 16.

However, as with the other tag, this is as far as we can get re identification, unless someone has any bright ideas about how I could find the actual soldiers name ???

Thanks

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German dogtag - What a coincidence !  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2