Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good Condition 1st Panzer/25 Battalion Erkennungsmarke - Comments on Being Good

Article about: 1st Panzer/25 Battalion Erkennungsmarke I recently bought this executed 1st Panzer dog tag. The font and stamping look legitimate to me for a good disc. Does anyone see any problems with it?

Default Good Condition 1st Panzer/25 Battalion Erkennungsmarke - Comments on Being Good

1st Panzer/25 Battalion Erkennungsmarke

I recently bought this executed 1st Panzer dog tag.

The font and stamping look legitimate to me for a good disc.

Does anyone see any problems with it? It was found in Russia.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Good Condition 1st Panzer/25 Battalion Erkennungsmarke - Comments on Being Good
    P
    Many

?

25. Panzergrenadier-Division - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

It is "1st company Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 25" and looks OK to me.

I am always leery of half tags. In many cases, they have been recovered from grave sites....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Wagriff,

How do you know that?

How? Well...generally, one half stayed with the body and the other half was returned for the records. It was kind of the point of having tags that were split. And, yes-I've seen more dug half tags than I care to remember. As I said, in Many cases, halves that are dug do not bode well. Not all, of course, but plenty. Now, when looking at recovered Whole tags, again, it is an iffy thing. Either they were discarded when surrendering, or else they came from the ground and possibly with their owners. I would much rather have a whole dug tag than a dug Half tag.
    William

?

If I understand what your saying then a whole dug tag probably means the poor fellow was MIA and his family never got closure. Where half a tag means the unit at least knew he was dead and someone was probably notified.

In the last 75 years I think a lot of half tags have been placed on the market each with its own reason for being a half. In my opinion only a small percentage came from places where the Germans were buried, but all WW II German items have a somewhat morbid association with the war.

Staying on subject with my post, it does look like a legitimate tag - with all the duplication and copies being made for profit purposes, this is one of the disturbing areas where people would choose to copy these. The point of my post was in keeping with most threads with regard to the authenticity of our collecting.

As for the point raised by both of you, it is unfortunate that 'diggers' a.k.a. grave thieves would 'rob' a sacred place for a few dollars. It is this that collectors, like myself hope to avoid in pursuit of tags with some vague promise it would not be a tag robbed from the burial place, but from a battlefield separate from remains.

I'm sure this tag is authentic and it is a 1st Panzer sample. Let's hope it may not be one which originally belonged to a burial, in which case ownership of it will have that in mind.

It's for this reason alone that I've never collected ID tags.

(Sorry for the side trip on your thread, Wiegand!)
    William

FWIW I like the tag. Given it is a single hole, it is more likely IMO that it is the half that would have been removed from the body, hence less likely to have been robbed from a grave.

?

Sorry for the diversion as well, IMO a legit tag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast