MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help with this disk??

Article about: Good afternoon everyone. This may be a little strange, but my grandfather was in the US Navy in WWII. He passed away in his 50's before I was born, but passed down to me was a box of memorab

Default Help with this disk??

Good afternoon everyone.

This may be a little strange, but my grandfather was in the US Navy in WWII. He passed away in his 50's before I was born, but passed down to me was a box of memorabilia. I've always had this box and noticed this tag but never knew what is was until recently. I have no idea how he obtained this tag, but I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher it and maybe who it belonged to. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/gallery/fn6xI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with this disk??
    P
    Many

here is the tag

It's a German identity disc, or Erkennungsmarke. Can't speak for the specifics of it, but the information is all there. I'm sure someone else here will be able to decipher the information stamped on it.
    As to how your grandfather obtained it, there are a multitude of possibilities. It could have been taken from a surrendered soldier, obtained from a dump or traded for with another serviceman.

'In-the-family' items like this one are always the best ones, at least for me. The most insignificant piece can take on an immense amount of sentimental value. Amongst my own great grandfather's keepsakes was a U.S. soldier's lapel pin; the brass 'U.S.' with a screw back. No idea how he obtained it - much like your own grandfather - but the mystery behind it drives the mind wild with possibilities.

B.B.

Thank you for the reply. I know nothing about any of this, I actually just joined here. HAHA. Would like to decipher it. Hoping someone can help!

There are people here who can read things like this as easily as you or I would read a book! I can at least tell you that the 'A' indicates the soldier's blood group.

Welcome aboard!

B.B.

Stamm fahr ersatz abteilung 2?
    168 is (was) the soldiers number in the units records. Blood group A as B.B. stated.

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    Stamm fahr ersatz abteilung 2?
    See I have no idea what that means. Complete newbie

Ersatz means replacement in German, so it would have been a replacement battalion. Some further reading on those here:
    The German Replacement Army 1939 to 1945

B.B.

The evolution of the unit was thus;
    Fahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 2
    Fahr-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 2
    Fahr-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 2

Far-Ersatz-Abteilung 2 formed on 30th August 1939 in Rostock, Wehrkreis II. The Abteilung came under the command of Division 192.On 26th September 1939 the Abteilung found itself at Parchim, Wehrkreis II. It was seconded to the Fahr-Ersatz-Schwadronen 207, 75 und 258. On 1st October 1942 the unit was divided into one Abteilung Fahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 2 and one Fahr-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 2. On 1st October 1942 the Abteilung came under the command of the 402nd Division. On April 1st 1943 Fahr Ersatz Abt 2 moved to Schwerin, Wehrkreis II, and Fahr-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 2 was formed.