Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

Article about: I thank everyone for there assistance with the determination of whether this is disk is real or a fake. To play the devil's advocate, I suggest that the stamping of the commanders name on th

?

I thank everyone for there assistance with the determination of whether this is disk is real or a fake.
    To play the devil's advocate, I suggest that the stamping of the commanders name on the disk, might not be a waste of time for the German army. By extention the use of the units commanders name on the disk is reason to imply the disk is a fake.

If you look to the north of the 48th parallel or across the pond to the United Kingdom, you see a plethora of military units, at the battalion level, who have for centuries had distinct uniforms, cap badges, flags, etc, to differentiate themselves from other units of similar types.

The use of the term Royal or Guards have for centuries been used in as a method of distinction and in times of war origins based on their history of performance in war been used to in a lack of a better term reward them that distinction from other unit of the same type.

I myself partipated in the renaming of an infantry battalion from the name of the Regina Rifle Regiment to the Royal Regina Rifles, in the 1982. It was a a very belated recognition of the unit's World war two participation in the Normandy landings and then following campaigns in France, Holland and Germany, to the end of the war.

The German government and by extension it's military forces, understood the use of distinction by means of uniform , unit title, and privileges, to be create and foster a units sense of elitism and prestige and standing in the German forces.

If a unit was named after its commander, would be you not consider it to be a such an honour and as such understand the desire unit members, to express this distinction in a manner such as the markings found on the identity disk, in addition to the unit markings on the vehicles, tanks, guns, etc.
    Just a thought I wanted to present to the readers of this post.
    Former infanrtyman in the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.
    To quote Todd in the above post
    ". Best job I every had".
    Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from
    P
    Many

EKM stamped to a named commander are not so unusual, but it is not easy to make an informed opinion from these pictures, as well as not having a known original to compare it to. If it is possible to take some clearer pictures perhaps we can progress this thread in the future.

?

Default As per your request for a few more pictures of the disk

A few more pictures of the disk. I apologize for the information on the type of material that it is made of. I replied earlier it was steel. I stand corrected. It is madeleine of zinc. I had to remove the disk from a plastic sleeve.
    Old guy. Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

Thank you for posting some better pictures.
    It appears that the text has been overwritten in gold pen? Which is, unusual and to my eyes although may have been thought to be expedient in making the text legible it does make it difficult to examine how the font letters are actually formed.

?

It is the way that I purchased it. I could try to remove it with a thinner if it doesn't harm the zinc.

?

Default Used soap and water to clean the surface of the disk

I used dish soap water and soft tooth brush to clean the surface of the disk. Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

I hope this helps you.

?

The pictures make it even more obvious to me that this emarke is a Rokas fake. Nothing good about it if you ask me.

Regards, Rik

Out of interest how wide is the disc, can you measure it across the snap line?

Generally it should be no larger than 7cm.

?

It is seven cm exactly across the snap line

- - ------- - -

Thanks for your reply and the information you have provided.

?

The a and the g in "Jagd" look like bad fonts in my opinion. The two cord holes on the same side of the disk look rather far apart, not necessarily a sign of a fake but odd compared to other disks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast