Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Help in identifying WWII German dog tags

Article about: I have an ID-Tag that is found myself right next to the airport used by Germany in WW2. Baneasa / Romania ... near Bucharest. It was already identified ... but I thought you to view the Tag

ggrund
    ?

Default Help in identifying WWII German dog tags

Hi , I'm new , I don't even know if this is the right place to get help . My wife and I sponsor a WWII Navajo Code Talker, since we brought him to our area to speak , we have been getting alot of WWII materials from vets , our most recent is 2 German WWII dog tags , the pictures are below , I don't know much about German WWII articles , we mainly go to the South Pacific Island battlefields and dive the wrecks . So any help in figuring out these SS dog tags would be great, thanks, Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in identifying WWII German dog tags   Help in identifying WWII German dog tags  

2. # ADS

SSCerberus1944
    ?

Default Re: Help in identifying WWII German Dog tags

Well they are both WW2 German identity discs. Looking at the markings they appear to be SS ones, as you stated. One in from a panzer unit, the other is a field Kompanie 406
    Where did you get them?

Default Re: Help in identifying WWII German dog tags

Hello,
    1st one is the 47th erkennungsmarke issued by the 406th SS Veterinary Kompanie (Veterinarian for US members i believe).

2nd erkennungsmarke is a tough one for me as i'm not specialized in WSS tags. Panzer SS unit, but i can't tell you more...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

I don't believe either one of those is real I'm afraid- the 'halo' around some letters of the supposed SS-Panzer disc is an effect one finds on old blanks stamped later (it dislodges some of the oxide and other material directly around the stamp), plus the markings are meaningless; the supposed Veterinär unit too is wrong in that the SS is in the corner when properly it's an integral part of a unit's designation, e.g. SS-Panzergrenadier, SS-Pionier, etc. Unfortunately there's no listing for a Veterinär-Kompanie 406 anywhere, so I can't even confirm if the unit actually existed. It looks like any number of 'made up' units or original discs just having 'SS' added by fakers in Eastern Europe.

Just because things come from vets, unfortunately, doesn't ensure authenticity. Those two are certainly not vet pick-ups so they weren't taken from the original owners as 'souvenirs', they were obviously supposed to be dug up someplace thus the source is as dodgy as any is today...

Thanks Matt L.
    You are a wealth of information and I find your posts very informative.
    A real joy to read.

best regards
    Laplander

?

Well thanks, I appreciate that and I'm always happy to help where I can
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hallo,

I have a erkennungsmark with "OT.FRONT-BTL.411" and B 198 across the top on each side. What does this mean?

Cheers,

-Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in identifying WWII German dog tags  

?

I don't much like the look of that one- the fonts look to be like those on fakes I have a number of images of and the overall style is very much like so many fakes out there too. The 'age' looks chemical and the placement of the Stammrollennummer and blood group are just like lots of fakes and no real ones I can think of. OT is the Orginisation Todt, from which I've never seen an Erkennungsmarke- so they're extremely rare, although not exactly valuable because of it; it's an odd unit type though, which fakers key in on since most people won't be familiar with the real thing and thus won't recognize it as dubious.

?

hi, minds got 844 then o at the side on top. and reads ss-leibstandart
    ,,adolf hitler"
    is this one fake. joejoe

?

Well, we'd really need to see a photo or two of it, but just from the text you've described, I'd think it likely a fake- mainly because every definitely original disc from that unit I've ever seen, including 3 I've owned myself, have just "LAH", never "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler"; moreover, the actual name is "Leibstandarte-SS-Adolf Hitler", so if yours has the SS in front, it's definitely bad.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast