Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help me with my first dogtag!

Article about: Easy now guys! I am the one who bought the tag. I felt that for \\$35 to have a authentic Tag that was prolly from Stalingrad was pretty cool. Not a bad price to have a piece of history.

Default Re: Help me with my first dogtag!

Easy now guys! I am the one who bought the tag. I felt that for $35 to have a authentic Tag that was prolly from Stalingrad was pretty cool. Not a bad price to have a piece of history.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help me with my first dogtag!
    P
    Many

Don't worry...these things happen when people are passionate. Enjoy the disc, it's very cool!

?

Yeah, don't know what that was all about LOL I'm afraid you are definietly wrong there Glenn- the 5 is the Batterie, and the 49 is clearly just the guy's Stammrollennummer, so Stacez's very first post was bang-on; I don't know where the idea about a later addition of a permanent unit's number comes from as nothing like this was ever done. A soldier carried his replacement unit disc his whole service time unless it was lost and only then he'd get one from his current field unit. Very, very rarely were old discs re-marked on the opposite side with a new unit, but the old was crossed out.

The fact that the Stammrollennummer 'font' is different on daddy's new disc simply means either the unit chose to use it specifically or two different people did the markings- one the text, another the numbers. It's not necessarily common, but not unique either.

What makes this kind of a neat piece is that it's from Pitomnik- so it could be that this soldier was part of that most vital airfield's air defense; or he was one of the wounded who waited there hoping to get out of the Kessel...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I realized my mistake after I sent that post, so I put my tail between my legs and apologized...but I never had doubts as to its pedigree. I think I was more irritated with his tone than anything else...I'm getting old-I can do that. lol! Cheers,Glenn

?

Right well being annoyed at a perceived slight isn't unreasonable- but it is much better to not post when one is annoyed, as much as it is to write a letter, or talk with the person- getting older teaches us that, yes? And whaddya mean old- 45 isn't old; I don't plan to get old until I'm at least 60 LOL

Hi Gents, in a slightly abstract manner , can anyone direct me to where I can find my Father's Unit history. 5th Schwere Flak Abt, 647 . Thanks !!!!!!

Reserve may have some of the information you seek.

?

Yup, as the sticky at the beginning of this forum section says, you can find any unit information on the Lexikon der Wehrmacht site, and probably with a simple search on Google, Bing or whatever as well; there are many sources on the Internet thankfully

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2