Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help with SS ID disk

Article about: Hello everyone, I introduce myself. My name is Alejandro and I am from Argentina. I wanted to consult you about your opinion of this Id disc published in the classifieds. And any information

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    A modern stamping on an excavated blank?
    I agree, the lighter blooming on the reverse due to the stamping on the front highlights it has been done long after the darkening of the tag due to oxidisation in the ground.

Plenty of blanks to be found, so the temptation to make money is easy for some people, and bad news for the unwary.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with SS ID disk
    P
    Many

Quote by PuSSy Riot View Post
    SS disc often have different sizes of the two upper and the one down hole like some versions of stainless steel id's.
    ??? None of my examples have different sized holes.

?

I agree with Glenn, I don't recall different sized holes on any of mine either.

Dear Eike (Eicke?) and Glenn. Please look at the ID disc we are talking about in this threat. You can see it has two bigger holes on the upper half than the one down hole. It's hard to find an unstamped disc with that holes but the metal finish of some parts on the back makes me think this latvian tag is a copy.Sorry for the owner in southamerica. I've found about 100 SS-discs myself over the last 20 years and from 10 SS discs about 3 have the bigger upper holes. But never found a Wehrmacht disc with bigger upper holes. So it must be a special SS version like the smaller holes of the early SS-Verfügungstruppe and Totenkopfstandarte discs. Please look at my discs in the threat "Show your SS Erkennungsmarke" and especially in the post of MEhT you can see the bigger upper holes of the 4.E.LAH . You can compare it with the down disc 4.E.LSSAH and you exactly see the difference. And the holes are not worn out..this is a SS version! Like there are several versions of stainless steel discs with normal an big holes and different sizes.

Show your SS Erkennungsmarken

Well my dear Pussy, I don't want to argue with you but again I have never seen different sized holes on the same SS disc. Here is a photo of 12 SS ground recovered discs (3 I now own) and you will note that some of them have small holes and some have large holes but none have a mixture of hole sizes. I can't think of a sensible reason to extend the time of manufacture by have 2 different hole sizes?

Help with SS ID disk

No problem Glenn..Nice 8.SS-Totenkopf Inf.Rgt.8. I've one from south of Berlin. I show you with two discs of MEhT..And I have 10 more. The two upper holes are bigger than the one down hole. Spezial SS version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with SS ID disk   Help with SS ID disk  

?

Mr. Riot,

I did search the SS tags and your right many have that feature of 2 holes one size and one hole smaller, interesting so I would not put that in the minus column.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2