Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ID disc

Article about: Hello, What is the correct interpretation of this WW2 German ID tag: Sta m m Kp Gren Ers Btl m8 Any help would be really appreciated. Kind Regards AlexS

Default ID disc

Hello,

What is the correct interpretation of this WW2 German ID tag:

Sta m m Kp Gren Ers Btl m8

Any help would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards
    AlexS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID disc
    P
    Many

?

Hi Alex,

That looks to be Stammkompanie Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon (motorisiert) 8 You can find the unit details here: Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 8 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht It's an interesting marking- I can't say I recall ever seeing 'motorisiert' abbreviated as just 'm'- it's usually 'mot.'
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you Matt for your reply. I really appreciated. As you mentioned just m, it is unusual, but disc show letter m. Once again, big thanks to you!

Regards
    AlexS

?

No problem Alex. Since it's an uncommon variant, it'd be nice to have an image here on the forum- would you post one?

As you requested, Matt. Please find attached photo. Is there any chance to find out where Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 8 saw action in WW2? Lexikon giving not sufficient information or my German language is poor. Anyway i need more details about the unit. Thank you in advance!

Regards
    AlexS
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID disc  

?

Brilliant- thanks Alex. Very neat variation in marking there. You mistake the specifics of the unit though- Ersatz units didn't 'see action', they were homeland training units that supplied field units at the front- so GEB(m)8 never saw combat per se; excepting of course that very near the end some were mobilized as last ditch defense, etc.

What you need to look at is the field units GEB(m)8 supplied- they'd typically be various Grenadier-Regimenter, and usually they're listed near the bottom of the unit details. Any one of those could be the field unit this soldier served in- and obviously wartime pressure could see a man sent where replacements were needed, not just to the 'on paper' units the Ersatz formations usually supplied so it isn't necessarily one of those either.

Once again thanks Matt!! Grenadier saw a combat, but unfortunately i do not know the details. Small WW2 grouping came directly from German veteran. ID disc plus amazing POW made metal cigarette case(Trench Art)with description: AFRIKA 45-48 and Latin phrase "SUM QUIQUE" which means "WHO AM" Please find attached pictures below. He did not want to talk about his war experience. He mentioned that he was wounded by shrapnel. Had POW status. There is no chance to ask more questions regarding his combat service. He passed away few weeks ago.

Kind Regards
    AlexS
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID disc   ID disc  

ID disc  

?

Oh that's a shame when a story is lost forever- but one can understand why he didn't want to talk about it.

And Suum Quique actually means 'to each his own'- it certainly would be a better world if more people took that sentiment to heart...