Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID discs from Stalingrad

Article about: Hi Sebastien, I don't really have any doubts the disc is real, given the significant corrosion and the fact that some of the oxides are in the stamped letters- that's usually where fakes go

Default ID disc from Stalingrad

Hi guys,
    I want to buy this dog tag. What do you think about this?
    The font looks like a handmade, is not it?
    Now I have only one photo.
    Thank you for your opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID discs from Stalingrad  
    Last edited by Sebastien; 03-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID discs from Stalingrad
    P
    Many

Default Re: ID discs from Stalingrad

It's not one that I would buy Sebastien. Can I ask why you like it so much?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    It's not one that I would buy Sebastien. Can I ask why you like it so much?
    I want to change this dog tag on my dog tag View image: P1000153
    I noticed that very rarely dig up the dog tags from 71st and 295th infantry divisions. And this dog tag of 295 Infantry Division. Axis History Factbook: 295. Infanterie-Division
    (October 15, 1942 Infanterie-Regiment 518 was renamed in the Grenadier-Regiment 518.) 518 Infantry Regiment fought in the central city of Stalingrad during the battle of all time . The Regiment fought not far from my home.

What do you think about my barter?
    image host

OK, I see why the tag is important to you. If you can trade for your erstatz Kav dog tag then fine, now the only question is the Gr518 tag original? From your photo I can't be sure, hopefully Matt or Stacz will come along to give their opinion but I think everyone will want a photo of the Gr518 tag from the straight on position, not at an angle like we see above. Do you know the finder of the Gr518 tag personally and trust that it is a genuine find?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Do you know the finder of the Gr518 tag personally and trust that it is a genuine find?
    I asked the better photos.
    I do not know the finder of the Gr518 tag personally, but this guy from Volgograd (Stalingrad), too.
    I have the experience to determine the originality of the dog tags. This ID disc looks real, but the font is not standard.

Just keep in mind that these are very easy to make and age in the hands of a good faker. Things that are not standard often scare me away for this unless they have rock solid provance. As we all know there were may variations in the 3rd Reich but there are also many variations in the 4th Reich!

Jeff

Quote by Killroy View Post
    Just keep in mind that these are very easy to make and age in the hands of a good faker. Things that are not standard often scare me away for this unless they have rock solid provance. As we all know there were may variations in the 3rd Reich but there are also many variations in the 4th Reich!

Jeff
    Thanks for your opinions!

Also I worried by the fact that there is no blood group.
    Maybe this dog tag is not received by a soldier

Here are some other photos of the dog tag.

This dog tag is not found near Stalingrad, the dog tag found in the place of the POW camp (Prisoner-of-war camp) near the town Ilovlya (85 kilometers from Stalingrad).

What do you think, now?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID discs from Stalingrad   ID discs from Stalingrad  

I think it is original but seems that it was found with its previous owner. Look at the oxidation - very typical for wargrave founds.

I understand there were many numbers of deaths in the POW camps directly after the surrender. Some have speculated that the majority of the deaths of all the number who surrendered were in the first few weeks after the surrender when the Soviets were (a) unprepared for taking such large numbers of prisoners and (b) unwilling to care for the prisoners in any case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast