Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Info? ss disc

Article about: Hi- I just bought this disc, any info on it? kev

Kevin Chomicki
    ?

Default Info? ss disc

Hi-

I just bought this disc, any info on it?

kev
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info? ss disc   Info? ss disc  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Info? ss disc

Well it's the Der Führer Regiment of Das Reich of course, but as far as whether or not it's real, it's hard to say- the form of the 'SS-Verfügungstruppe' stamp on the reverse does not match any of those originals I have images of, and it's strange that I do have a picture of a "DF" disc that has a serial number of 6213, just 371 higher than yours, that is completely different; it uses capital 'S's instead of the Sigrunen and has just 'SS-V.T.' on the reverse. Now of course at any point in there, they could have simply switched methods and equipment, but it's odd to be sure.

Later when they were properly the 'Waffen-SS' their discs did use Sigrunen and had both the SS ,,DF'' and Waffen-SS on the front. So that shows significant changes weren't unheard of.

It's not common that a unit would have so simple a marking- not even a Kompanie number, but a simple consecutive serial number (i.e. the whole Regiment had just one roster), so a faker would more likely blow this and just do things in a normal fashion- of course he could also have seen a real one too.

Overall, it's probably real, but it's hard to say for sure. SS discs are fake to such an extent that it can be difficult to prove them real. Perhaps someone else has seen this exact form before and has reason to know it's authentic?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...