Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?

Article about: There are a ton of German ID discs on the auction sites. This one was posted by a seller that generally has legitimate items. Is it any good? Is there anything specific I should be looking f

Default KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?

There are a ton of German ID discs on the auction sites. This one was posted by a seller that generally has legitimate items. Is it any good? Is there anything specific I should be looking for?
    I know absolutely nothing about German ID tags (yet). I have been reading through the posts here to try and get some knowledge on these.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?   KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: KRIEGSMARINE ID disc?

This kind of Kriegsmarine disc isn't so easy to authenticate as it's made with a power engraving tool so theoretically isn't impossible to replicate imperceptibly today; that being said, I have seen pieces that are supposed to be original that are just like this one- slightly wobbly text and all. It does have the correct number of little dashes to form the break line too. And it's not any super-rare or valuable type like a U-Boot or Schlachtschiff, so not terribly valuable other than it's a named one rather than the just "Kriegsmarine" type- so not necessarily desirable to fake. So if it's not expensive, it might be worth a go. I actually don't know just how much these are faked anyway- I can't say I know I've seen any really...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks Matt. I'm not taking a chance on maybe. Are you saying, as a novice, that I should avoid any tags that have that "Dremeled" look to them?

?

Well no, since the majority do- all those that aren't just marked 'Kriegsmarine' that is. Best to just post and ask before buying is what I'd recommend- whether you're mainly looking for KM discs or not. KM are just probably the toughest to truly authenticate.

Thanks Matt. I will post if I see one. I wasn't really thinking this one is a "must have." I just knew that it was from a seller that is relatively reliable. Thanks again,
    Brian

?

Ah, I see- better to go for the usual Heer/LW type then as they're rather more easily authenticated.