Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LAH Dog Tag - Real ?

Article about: What can you tell me about this dog tag? I don't see any blood type. Can it be real? Thank you for your answers!

?

Default LAH Dog Tag - Real ?

What can you tell me about this dog tag? I don't see any blood type. Can it be real?

Thank you for your answers!

LAH Dog Tag - Real ?LAH Dog Tag - Real ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LAH Dog Tag - Real ?
    P
    Many

?

I don't see a vertical Umlaut inside the first 'U' in "Verfügungs" as there should be- does anyone else? That might be a big problem if it's not there.

You might want to have a look through the SS-Erkennungsmarken sticky thread to see if there's a 7. E. LAH disc in there to compare this one to; there are a couple of LAH pieces in there, but I can't recall if there's a 7.

No blood group letter isn't any problem- lots of men simply weren't tested or the mark wasn't put on the disc it seems; Stammrollennummer 384 is too low for this to be an unissued disc, so if it is real, perhaps this man had a tattooed blood group as a third possibility.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thank you for your answer Matt !

In the SS-Erkennungsmarken thread I could find this one: SS Erkennungsmarken

We can see a umlaut on the first "U".

But I could see some without any umlaut...

Below, can't it be umlaut on the letters?
    LAH Dog Tag - Real ?

So what do your expert eyes see?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Waban; 02-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.

?

Hmmm- I can't say I see those as definitely Umlaute- it looks to me more like they're just 'corrosion'; since the letters are fairly well-formed and visible, I'd expect the Umlaute to be as well. Most often they are inside the U, but yes they do sometimes occur above- I didn't mean to suggest that if they're not within, that's definitely bad.

Maybe the seller can provide a larger photo of the back and we can tell for sure what's there?

The Ersatz-Bataillon L.A.H. did have 8 Kompanien, so at least we know it's not wrong for this to supposedly be from the 7. Kompanie; unfortunately the only way to be sure it's real is to have another that's 100% authentic to compare it too. Even if the SS-VT mark on the reverse could be matched to a known good type, that wouldn't guarantee it since it could be an old blank that somebody just put the LAH mark on the obverse and aged.

I can't say the age looks definitely real either- it doesn't look obviously fake, but that's not much help LOL

So I'd say see if you can get a big picture of the back- if there are no Umlaute, that's a fatal problem; but, unfortunately, otherwise it will just have to remain uncertain unless someone has a provably real example to compare it to. The most I could say is I don't see anything obviously wrong (other than the question about the Umlaut), but that doens't mean it's not fake...

?

Ok, thank you very much for your explanations!

I will try to get better pictures and will post them here.

Many thanks for your help!

P.S: I found an old post from 2008 on wehrmacht-awards.com, talking about this dog tag! For the poster, the dog tag is ok... You can see it here: SS dog tag info - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Well, anyway, I will ask better pictures. Thanks!

Don't know if this helps or not but a real 6th kompanie tag for comparison...minus the umlauts.

LAH Dog Tag - Real ?LAH Dog Tag - Real ?

?

Quote by Waban View Post
    P.S: I found an old post from 2008 on wehrmacht-awards.com, talking about this dog tag! For the poster, the dog tag is ok... You can see it here: SS dog tag info - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Interesting! The original poster says he thinks it's okay, but then he was the one who asked what others think- neither of the two experts, whom I'm familiar with, said anything about the 7. E one.

And Glenn, yours isn't minus the Umlaut, it's inside the U as is quite common- it's vertical.

Wow Matt, it's me eyes, guv...they ain't what they used to be!

?

Thank you to both of you for the answers!

So Matt, is it a good point for it right? :-)

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Wow Matt, it's me eyes, guv...they ain't what they used to be!
    LOL Well it helps to know they're probably there

Quote by Waban View Post
    So Matt, is it a good point for it right? :-)
    Do you mean that the poster on the WAF thinks it's okay? No, not at all- if he had to ask for help, it means he didn't know and since the experts had nothing good to say, nothing at all was resolved- it's still questionable. I still think the best next step is to confirm if the Umlaut is there or not. Hopefully you can get a big picture of the reverse

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast