Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Landesschutzen Erkennungsmarken

Article about: Hi, I was wondering whether the ID disc for 2nd company of Landesschutzen battalion 838 below is an original period piece. Any opinions on the originality of this piece are greatly appreciat

Default Landesschutzen Erkennungsmarken

Hi,

I was wondering whether the ID disc for 2nd company of Landesschutzen battalion 838 below is an original period piece. Any opinions on the originality of this piece are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images Landesschutzen Erkennungsmarken  Landesschutzen Erkennungsmarken 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Landesschutzen Erkennungsmarken
    P
    Many

Hello Brian,
    I don't believe this is an original.
    The spaces between the two halves are too large and although the font doesn't look too bad, I am not fond of the spacing and how the first bit is scrunched up.
    I have posted most of my collection here, you can take a look at some original ones to compare the construction. Also compare the cord hole size and spacing.
    A few of my "Erkennungsmarken"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph, thanks for the help. I can see what you mean about the spaces between the two halves and character spacing after comparing with the examples in your collection.

Regards,

Brian

I would be very surprised if someone had decided to start faking Landesschutz ekms. Where did it come from? This unit was in the Low Countries from '43 onwards, so it isn't a fantasy item.

?

I am surprised as well, unless it happens to be some famous person's EKM I doubt it is a fake. I have seen a huge amount of variation on construction of tags so that really does not put me off on this one.

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    I am surprised as well, unless it happens to be some famous person's EKM I doubt it is a fake. I have seen a huge amount of variation on construction of tags so that really does not put me off on this one.
    Agreed. Size of tag, size of holes in same, stamped or hand carved - regulations dictated the size for the Ekm in Armed Forces and Navy, but non-regulation ones come in all sorts.

Thanks for the help all. Seems odd to me too that fakers would bother with a landesschutzen ekm, I could see if it was for the SS or other more desirable units.

Thanks,

Brian