Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke

Article about: Hi guys, I am considering a trade for this tag. I can't find anything wrong with it, but I tend to be horrible with these. Could I please get your opinions? Thanks, Mo

Default Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke

Hi guys,

I am considering a trade for this tag. I can't find anything wrong with it, but I tend to be horrible with these. Could I please get your opinions?

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke   Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Latvian Legion Erkennungsmarke

A little forum search turned up these two: Show your SS Erkennungsmarken - different font than yours and disturbingly the two of them are the same font despite being very different units; that's usually the mark of a fake. One potential fake with the exact same text doesn't make me too happy with others unless the text is known to be correct- and I can't find any specific reference to this unit so have no idea if it really existed as written.

There's nothing obviously wrong with what we can see, but there's nothing good either and this other potential fake is worrisome. It's also not 100% the other is a fake, and if it's real the different font on this one is a much more significant problem. The rule I went by with SS stuff is that it not only has to have no problems, but it has to actually look good (if it's not certainly so), and this one doesn't fit that second criterion at all. Unless the trade is amazing and it's worth taking a chance, I'd pass myself.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I'd guess that the disc is a recently stamped old blank, the patina on the reverse has been damaged by the stamping!....

?

The 'halo' effect on the front around the letters is usually the sign of that- accompanying damage to the reverse along the whole text is a secondary effect; in this case, the damage is localized and there's no primary indication, so that's doubtful. Not to mention there's similar loss of patina in an angled line on the front like it was bent and then straightened- the loss on the back may be due to it being hammered lightly to flatten it or something.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

It could have been this disc has been mounted in a frame, and this is the reason it has missing patina on the back. And if it has been touched 100s of times then this will also leave marks after a while.

Notice also the lack of wear to the holes, not a red flag in its own right but certainly another 'not good' sign that, in addition to the other 'not good' signs, would have me passing on this one.

?

Well, i must admit i have poor experience when it come to these ID disks. So if other collectors with experience would tell me they didnt like a disk i were consider to buying, then i would never buy that ID disk.

I couldnt live knowing that i MAYBE had a fake item in my collection. I would go insane of the stress.

The very first erkennungsmarken I ever bought turned out to be a fake, I have been VERY careful ever since!

Hi guys, sorry for the delayed response.

I have passed on the info to the seller. Thank you all for your help. I appreciate the knowledge you gentlemen bring to this forum!