Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Marke with high Roll Number ?

Article about: Bought this Luftwaffe ground personnel dog-tag at the flea-market. Have no worries over the authenticity - although it appears someone has rubbed up the surface with fine emery paper and the

?

Default Luftwaffe Marke with high Roll Number ?

Bought this Luftwaffe ground personnel dog-tag at the flea-market. Have no worries over the authenticity - although it appears someone has rubbed up the surface with fine emery paper and the blood group stamp is missing. The unit stampings check out with the Luftwaffe base in Crailsheim as shown in the "Lexikon der Wehrmacht". One thing that puzzles me is the roll number seems very high 8000 - does anyone have an idea why. Any relevant information appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Marke with high Roll Number ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Marke with high Roll Number ?
    P
    Many

?

Hi Alec,

8000 does seem rather high, but then Crailsheim apparently had an air station from the 1935 to 1945; it had a Flugzeugführerschule, a Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment stationed there too so must have been a sizeable establishment. I've seen lots of these discs with high numbers- I seem to recall 3000s and 4000s, so they must have had a lot of personnel start there and be sent to different units, OR they were just really big and over the course of the war simply had a lot of personnel. The map on flegerhorste.de looks pretty big.

And I just found a mention of a personnel record of a Fallschirmjäger (Axis History Forum) who started at Fliegerhorst-Kommando A9/VII Crailsheim- so I guess they were an induction 'unit' of a sort; that would explain the high number. Maybe they were like the Stammkompanie of Erstaz units- just a place to register, but not necessarily an actual physical unit in which many men served.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Hello Matt,
    Thanks for your post, what you say makes sense, could well be the reason for the high number. Normally I shy away from most things Luftwaffe, finding from the experience of trying to work through LW wehrpasses, them inherently more difficult to read / decipher than the army ones. Same goes for dog-tags. Just couldn't resist something cheap on the flea-market. Thanks again for the help.

?

Sure thing Alec And of course, cheap is always a decent reason to pick up something- and discs with cords are relatively uncommon, so is a lucky find too

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Marke with high Roll Number ?  

?

? We're not discussing the fact that 8000 is a high number just in general- but a high number for the type of unit this appears to be. 6067 isn't an unreasonably high number for the Stammkompanie of a Landesschützen replacement unit