Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My fake SS-VT ID

Article about: Hello I bought this SS-VT ID. The seller said me It was original but in other forum say me this is a fake. Somebody have a photo of a ID of this unit? thaks and regards

gernika
    ?

Default My fake SS-VT ID

Hello
    I bought this SS-VT ID. The seller said me It was original but in other forum say me this is a fake. Somebody have a photo of a ID of this unit?
    thaks and regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My fake SS-VT ID  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: My fake SS-VT ID

Hi gernika,

I don't have a picture of a good one myself, but I still have to agree with whomever it was who told you it's a fake- I don't like it either. There's nothing specific I can point to and demonstrate that it's wrong, so I can't say for certain I know it's a fake, but my years of experience just says no way that's real.

Can you post a clear photo of the back? I'm specifically interested in the neck cord holes- the 'wear' on the front doesn't look real, and I'm curious to see what the back looks like. The pattern it should be is very specific, so if it's not, that's a definite indicator of a fake.

The rule I always recommend people follow in looking at SS discs is that not just that there should be nothing obviously wrong with it, but that there should actually be things that are very positive; SS discs should be demonstrably good. Since 99.99% of the ones you'll see are fakes, that's the only way to even begin not to be cheated. In this case there's definitely nothing good and a general air of bad to be sure. I'd return this one if you can.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

maybe it's the lack of abbreviated words? Erkennungsmarkens always rack my brain. or the high reissue #?

gernika
    ?

pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My fake SS-VT ID   My fake SS-VT ID  

?

No, neither of those is a problem- a replacement unit can easily have hundreds or thousands of men through it since they're only there for their basic training usually. And the use of single letter abbreviations is perfectly correct.

Thanks for the better pictures gernika- now I can see what looked like wear grooves are actually not, the entire inner edges of the Halsschnur holes themselves is rebated- not something I've seen before. I can't see how the cord could have caused this kind of wear- usually there are just some grooves on the inner edges of the front and upper edges on the back or both on both sides. Unfortunately, this is hardly diagnostic, just odd. I'm afraid this still leaves us with needing a known original to compare it with to prove authenticity- until then we're left with questions I'm afraid.

Did the other person(s) who told you it was a fake say why?

gernika
    ?

Thanks Matt L, the other person say me that:
    Hello
    "
    Hope you havn`t paid too much...

IMO it is a fake.

A.E.A. dogtags had other stamping sets. (Other Letter and other numbers)

The dogtag itself (blank) could be an austrian variant fake."

Thanks

?

Ah, okay, well that I can't comment on since I have no image of an original from this unit; nor have I heard of this 'Austrian' fake blank.