Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with Erkunnungsmarken

Article about: Is this SS dog tag fake? Can someone here on the forum help me? I bought it in Estonia.

?

Default Need help with Erkunnungsmarken

Is this SS dog tag fake? Can someone here on the forum help me?
    I bought it in Estonia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with Erkunnungsmarken   Need help with Erkunnungsmarken  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with Erkunnungsmarken
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need help with Erkunnungsmarken

Yup, it is. Check the font against the ones I posted in the sticky 'common fake fonts' and you'll find a match. It's a typical layout for a fake too- sans-serif capital lettering, a field unit, serial number in an odd place and I've never seen 'Swdr.' as an abbreviation for 'Schwadron'.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

thank you, mybe its made in poland

Here is another dogtag what about this one, fake to?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with Erkunnungsmarken   Need help with Erkunnungsmarken  

?

Nope, that one's fine; Infanterie-Nachrichten-Ersatz-Kompanie 227 (from Infanterie-Ersatz-Regiment 227). A nice original piece. Generally fakers do SS stuff- it's a wonder so many people are obsessed with the SS given how much is fake...

?

'Swdr.' as an abbreviation for 'Schwadron' is not a German way of spelling and an early giveaway , the second one is part of a unit that was involved in the 1944 fighting in Estonia and could have been found there as it looks as though it was ground dug !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The SS dog tag i have a bad feeling for , but yes the second one i found in narwa,

thank you for info.

?

Quote by agjeng View Post
    The SS dog tag i have a bad feeling for , but yes the second one i found in narwa,

thank you for info.
    Which part of the Narva front did you find it at ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    'Swdr.' as an abbreviation for 'Schwadron' is not a German way of spelling and an early giveaway , the second one is part of a unit that was involved in the 1944 fighting in Estonia and could have been found there as it looks as though it was ground dug !!
    Well there are sometimes odd abbreviations and I don't think it's possible to prove 'Swdr.' wasn't ever used- you'd have to produce images of every single Erkennungsmarke ever made to do that LOL It's just not at all usual nor one probably any of us have ever seen, so it's dubious. And the fact that the marking is a field unit is another issue- most discs were from replacement and training units; it's not even likely this unit ever had any discs marked this way. Also the serial number is ridiculously high- the Stabsschwadron was a small unit and there's little chance that it had such a high loss rate as to have ever had over 900 men go through it. So really there are all kinds of problems with it- even if the font weren't 100% clear proof that it's fake.

Definitley nobody should buy an SS Erkennungsmarke without checking with knowledgeable folks first- 99% are fakes and you're likely to get burned if you're not extremely cautious.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Which part of the Narva front did you find it at ?
    I got that Wehrmacht dogtag from a Russian for a bottle of vodka in the Vaivara area.
    He wanted to sell some rusty German- Russian stuff.
    I asked him where he found the dog tag and I understand it must be from the Ostsack- Vestsack area, it was on the South side of the railway track, he tried to explain to me. That’s how I understood it, and it was only the dog tag he said he found.

?

Quote by agjeng View Post
    I got that Wehrmacht dogtag from a Russian for a bottle of vodka in the Vaivara area.
    He wanted to sell some rusty German- Russian stuff.
    I asked him where he found the dog tag and I understand it must be from the Ostsack- Vestsack area, it was on the South side of the railway track, he tried to explain to me. That’s how I understood it, and it was only the dog tag he said he found.
    Thanks for that , i am in the Sinnimae area a lot and have quite a few tags from 227 ID who were fighting in the sacks , particulary GR 412 !! Bottle of Wotka was a good deal !!!

1st July 1916