Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help Please, Real or Fake??

Article about: My Btl 327 disc was a Stalingrad purchase also but a different seller than the Rgt 111.

Default Re: Need Help Please, Real or Fake??

My Btl 327 disc was a Stalingrad purchase also but a different seller than the Rgt 111.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help Please, Real or Fake??
    P
    Many

?

Looks like some interesting variations in stampings from Kompanie to Kompanie on tags from the same unit from the same time period Glenn !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

thanks again matt.

A thought I had a second 2. Kompanie Rgt 111 disc around. I never displayed it because the level of corrosion is so bad. From memory I bought it at a later date from the above 2. kompanie seller.
    Is it likely that this type of corrosion is from exposure to human remains? I'm sure i've read that somewhere but at the time of purchase I was unaware. This disc was bought partly covered with some hard brown verdigris that was really hard to remove. A shame if this disc was grave robbed.

Need Help Please, Real or Fake??

?

I don't think it's reasonable to link a 'type' of corrosion with remains- without serious testing, the most that might be said is that it's consistent, but that'd hardly be the only cause. Ground conditions are extremely variable, even on the centimetre level sometimes.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Good to know Matt. I'd hate to be supporting black digging in any way.

In any case, we have a 2nd example of the 2. kompanie 'mot' disc yet this one is aluminium as compared to zinc for my other example. In your experience, is it unusual to see different material discs within the same kompanie?

?

I would generally ask any seller I hadn't previously dealt with where he gets his stuff and specifically if he ever finds remains- rather than asking directly if he takes stuff from graves; that way if the answer is affirmative you can nonchelantly ask how that's dealt with- contacting authorities, or what? Depending on how they answer you can probably get an idea if they're black diggers. If someone seems not to care, don't deal with them.

Until recently I'd have said it would seem odd, but that group of Fallschirmjager discs recently posted about is mixed as well so it would seem it wasn't so uncommon. Those are all rather late-war, however it does seem reasonable to believe that supply dictated what was available and I guess sometimes the stampers didn't take care to finish one lot before moving on to another but just mixed them together or something.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2