Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

out of my depth...ID disc collection

Article about: Brilliant- well the 'shy' one is Fliegerhorst-Kompanie Wien Aspern, so a probably management company for an airfield in Wien, Aspern (probably not the main airfield in Vienna, but a smaller

Default out of my depth...ID disc collection

Hi

I picked these up the other day and have yet to go through them realyy thoroughly.

I have no idea as to their authenticity (hence my post) as I have only ever owned one disc before and this is a new venture from my usual collecting haunts (cloth caps) but what are your initial thoughts guys.

The one and only ss one is shown but as with all items with runes ...I am sceptical.

click on the pics to enlarge the image.

As I catolouge them I hope to post clearer shots of each. Any help and advice as to where to look to confirm units etc would be appreciated.

cheers

tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement out of my depth...ID disc collection
    P
    Many

Default Re: out of my depth...ID disc collection

Just been reading the three stickies above on fakes and references so I'll start my learning curve tonight....
    #
    #
    fingers crossed

?

Hello Spandau, I think these look OK, the SS disk is a Medic I think it is interesting but hard to research because it is a company level disk, does it have anything on the back? I would have bought them at the right price just looking at what I can see. Landshutz and reserve batallions good disks but not often faked not extremely rare.

Eike41,

thanks for the reply.

thats re-assuring to know.

The ss tag has nothing on the back. Just plain.

cheers

tony

?

Thats an awesome collection of tags

Wish I could bag a load like that

Cheers

perce

?

Most look good Tony- you're really lucky to get ones with the Halsschnur (neck cord) and Brustbeutel (the leather pouch). The six in your second photo are definitely fine, and the two in the third shot, but it'd really be necessary to see the rest to say one way or another; when you post good-sized, straight on shots of each disc's front markings (and back if there're any on the back) we can authenticate and 'translate' them all for you.

And just from what I can see- which isn't ideal- I don't think the SS one is real; the fonts look very much like one of the common fake ones- but as I say, a good straight on photo will be helpful to really be able to say one way or another.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi guys

Thank you for the info and candid comments so far. I'm sorry the pictures are so rubbish and not very helpful to aid positive Id's.

When I am off work next i will take more individual shots to post and go from there.

It's quite exciting having something new to try to work out. I appreciate all your help and expertise and thanks for the offer of help (Matt L).

cheers

tony

Hi

had a chance to have another look at these tags. They came along with a load of other bits and bobs and there are 20 of them.

Here is the controversial one.............

Next are a few of the others from the front and back

These are the only two with markings on the back.

out of my depth...ID disc collectionout of my depth...ID disc collection

The one with the diagram of vehicle specs on the back is perplexing ? Could it be a wartime /field made replacement perhaps ? or am I clutching at straws ?

Any comments and feedback welcome, I'm on a learning curve here.......

cheers

tony

?

Interesting- that SS one isn't a match for the fairly common fake type it appeared to be; I'm still not sure of it though- the numbers especially do resemble bad ones quite closely. I'd call it dubious, but not definitely bad. You might be pleasantly surprised one day if more information comes to light. The rest are just fine- some nice ones in there actually. The odd Pionier one with the diagram on the back is clearly a field-made piece- look how crude the three Trennschlitzen (break slits) are- it was obviously a data plate of some kind that someone just repurposed as an identity disc. I think the word is 'Schmierplätze' or something like that, which I believe is 'oiling or lubricating points'. Maybe it's a plate from a wrecked vehicle and somebody salvaged the aluminum. Neat piece- most field-made discs are pretty boring and rarely can they even come close to being authenticated, but this one I'd have no trouble believing is real.

I'll go through and 'translate' the rest for you when I get the chance later today or tomorrow- or someone else will
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I rather like the field made example.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast