Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID and 121 ID badge

Article about: - - Updated - - Wolchow front Leningrad

Default Panzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID and 121 ID badge

Panzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID  and 121 ID badgePanzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID  and 121 ID badge

- - Updated - -

Wolchow front Leningrad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID  and 121 ID badge
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Panzer abwer ID TAG 21 ID and 121 ID badge

That's a rather nice disc Borman. It has a very uncommon additional marking, that is the 'M.Z', which stands for 'motorisiert mit Zugkraftwagen' (motorized, wth halftracks- e.g. Sd. Kfz. 10)

The terminology- Panzer-Abwehr and not Panzerjäger (a term only used until 3. 1940)- and fact that it is a field unit, not an Ersatz one, suggests this soldier was part of the unit when the war started. I.R. 45 existed from the Reichswehr days, and was 'created' in 1935 and that explains why the roll number is rather higher than the authorized strength of the Kompanie, which was probably around 153 (according to KStN 184, Infanteriepanzerabwehrkompanie mZ, which was probably similar if not the same); there surely would have been men transferring around in those years before the war and as men went out, new ones would be added to the roll. At the beginning, Erkennungsmarken were apparently only issued when a unit was mobilized into the field where action might take place, so it would seem this guy was serving when the 21. I.D. went to Poland in 9. 1939.

The 121. I.D. badge is great because it shows a link we might otherwise not immediately recognize- parts of I.R. 45, along with parts of I.R. 43, went to create I.R. 408 of the 121. I.D. in 10. 1940; now the 21. I.D. is also listed as having been in Wolchow in 1941, so it's not necessarily certain this is the case, but it's a possibility.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks for info. I thought M.Z. - munition zug markng.

?

That would have been a reasonable guess
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...