Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Please help me translate this unit

Article about: I was trying to identify the following unit but German is not a language in which I am fluent. It reads: Tle. Aufkl. E.uA. Abt. 11. I have translated this as meaning: "Part of Reconnais

Default Please help me translate this unit

I was trying to identify the following unit but German is not a language in which I am fluent. It reads: Tle. Aufkl. E.uA. Abt. 11. I have translated this as meaning: "Part of Reconnaissance Replacement and Training Battalion 11." Does anyone think that is close to accurate? I found this forum because of a discussion about a disc that had this unit (or one close to it) engraved on it.

I will post a photo if I can taken one, but the print is hard to see even in person. In Rauchensteiner's 'Krieg im Osterreich, 1945', there is a map opposite page 97 listing this unit as being in Western Vienna on April 6, 1945, along with a Hitler Youth Battalion and a company from Panzerjager Battalion 80. If anyone has a better translation for this I would be very grateful to have it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help me translate this unit
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Please help me translate this unit

Well you have the bulk of it right for sure- but are you certain the beginning is 'Tle.'? That's not an abbreviation I'm familiar with- indeed 'teil' does mean 'part' or 'partly' but so far as I've seen it's in the context of things like 'teilmot.' meaning 'partly motorized'. And if it has an 'e' at the end it's plural- Teile is 'parts', so that's even more odd.

Interestingly, I can't find a reference to an Aufklärungs-Ersatz-und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 11; there's an Aufklärungs-Ersatz-Abteilung 11 but no mention of it being split and the 'E. u. A.' version being created as it was done for so many units; in fact the listing doesn't mention anything after mid-1943.

Now are you talking about an Erkennungsmarke or just a mention of the unit in a book? If it's not a disc, but just a book reference then it probably is Teile, but just meaning 'parts of' not as a formal part of the unit title.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Matt- This is just in a book, it is Manfred Rauchensteiner's 1970 book "Krieg in Osterreich 1945". There is a map opposite page 97 with that exact quote I gave above. I assumed that 'Tle' was an abbreviation of 'Teil' or 'Teile', and Rauchensteiner uses it in many places, but I could find no reference to the unit that he indicates.

I found this forum during a Google search, because the disc that was discussed in the other thread had virtually the same unit title.

Last edited by WorldWarBill; 03-31-2012 at 01:57 AM.

?

Ah, okay, I thought since this is the Erkennunsmarke section, that was what you had; the original thread you posted in was about a fake disc, so I thought you had a real one and just commented on the book as a reference that mentioned the unit . Well it certainly makes it easier. It defintiely is 'Tle.' which you're right is probably Telie- "parts of"; it's not a formal part of the unit title but a general description the author is using, perhaps because he's unsure of just what Kompanien, etc. were there. He's also got 'Fü' for a couple of units which I'd guess is Fürung- 'leadership' or 'command'- also not a formal part of the unit title, but a simple description of the exact section. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, the usual references for units don't have anything for this particular iteration of the unit or anything past May 1943; and even then it's just designation changes and locations.

Matt- I can help with the 'Fu' designation: that would be the Furher Grenadier Division, which had just arrived in Vienna.

Thanks so much for your help, the forum is fascinating. My only artifact from WW2 is a German helmet which I believe is from a Luftwaffe unit, but I will enjoy reading the various forums.

?

Actually I was referring to the 'Fü Pz Pi Btl' which is with the 3. SS-Pz Div and 'Fü Pz Rgt' which is with the 6. Pz. Div- those can't be Der Führer, although that is shown in the southwest.

No problem and glad you find us interesting- we try The helmet folks can certainly tell you about the one you have...