MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

PLEASE help with two Dog Tags.

Article about: Hi Guys, Could anyone tell me anything about these two dog tags please, And are they Real or Fake? Thanks.

?

Default PLEASE help with two Dog Tags.

Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me anything about these two dog tags please, And are they Real or Fake?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images PLEASE help with two Dog Tags.  PLEASE help with two Dog Tags. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement PLEASE help with two Dog Tags.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: PLEASE help with two Dog Tags.

The first one is a fake I'm afraid- if you'd check the thread on common fake fonts, you'll find a match. The second is fine, it's Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur Brussels-Evere- the airfield command unit. Here's a bit about them and a big list: Flughafenbereichskommandos
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

thanks matt.

?

The Fliegerhorst one is a good example of the very uncommon practice of putting the serial number on either side of the hole on the bottom half- for some unknown reason, fakers do it a lot but it's rarely seen on real discs. This one is done with very large letters and the text is quite long, so there wasn't any choice but to put the number above and that means it might have to be split up on the bottom half (which it is). Normally it's a bad sign, but this one has an explanation plus it's not a desirable or 'interesting' unit that would have people itching to buy it, and that's what fakers usually go for; this is just an airfield at Brussels-Evere and might appeal to a general collector or one of Luftwaffe stuff, but not to any great extent, thus the value is really just too low to bother faking for the most part.

?

And apart from the font being a dead-giveaway that the first one is fake, the unit text is also clearly bad- what is a Panzer-Grendaier-Aufklärungs Abteilung? No such thing. There was a Panzer-Aufklärungs Abteilung, but the word Grenadier doesn't apply.

Anyone looking for 'real or fake' should first look at the fake fonts thread to see if the ones there match what they have, and then at the Lexikon der Wehrmacht link to see if the unit even existed- either one of these would have quickly given an answer about that first piece of junk LOL