Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..

Article about: by Bulge44 i'll have to see what the seller says. But he may not get much info on it. You know how stories go, we may never find the true story. But it seems to be a real disc, right? By the

Default Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..

Hello all, new to this wonderful site.. My grandfather died in the Battle of the Bulge in December '44, an infantryman with the 2nd Infantry Division, 23rd Infantry Regiment, and so I have been doing some research on and collecting of Bulge memorabilia. I found this disc online which was purportedly part of an estate of an American vet and decided to purchase it. It was allegedly found in the area of the Bulge.

Does any have an opinion as to whether it is real, and if so, would anyone have any info as to what the abbreviations indicate?

Thanks in advance for all your help and assistance.

Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..

Hello Bulge44, welcome to the site. The disc is 1. Kompanie Bau Bataillon 208, personall number 503, blood group A. Visibly a dug piece, original, such unit doesn't worth to be faked.
    Here is info: Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Jan

Default Re: Is this a real ID disc? Can anyone provide info on it? Allegedly found in Bulge..

Quote by Jan S View Post
    Hello Bulge44, welcome to the site. The disc is 1. Kompanie Bau Bataillon 208, personall number 503, blood group A. Visibly a dug piece, original, such unit doesn't worth to be faked.
    Here is info: Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Jan
    Thanks for the great info, but please excuse my ignorance. When you say the unit is not worth being faked, what unit is this exactly?.... I do not speak or read german, even though I took german in college.......Could you break down the "1. Kompanie Bau Bataillon 208"...? What kind of unit was this and where was it located during the war? Was wondering if it was possible that this soldier was in the Bulge area. Finally, can I assume that it is impossible to find this soldier's name?
    Thanks again.

?

Ooops, I am sorry.... It was not a combat unit but a building one. They build roads, bridges and other constructions as well. So I mean usually well known combat units, SS and simmilar ones worth to be faked.
    The unit was created 1939, based in Brandenburg. Took part in France, Russia, 1945 in East Prussia. From what I see they were not in Bulge, but it must be studied in detail. My German is also not very good, much worsed than English. You need not to worry, other members will help.
    Oh and there is no chance to get soldiers name or other info to the tag when you are not a relative of him.

Jan

Quote by Jan S View Post
    Ooops, I am sorry.... It was not a combat unit but a building one. They build roads, bridges and other constructions as well. So I mean usually well known combat units, SS and simmilar ones worth to be faked.
    The unit was created 1939, based in Brandenburg. Took part in France, Russia, 1945 in East Prussia. From what I see they were not in Bulge, but it must be studied in detail. My German is also not very good, much worsed than English. You need not to worry, other members will help.
    Oh and there is no chance to get soldiers name or other info to the tag when you are not a relative of him.

Jan
    Ok, great. Thanks for the additional information. Now I can have some kind of a story behind the disk. My main concern was that it was an original and not a fake. I'll have to do a little more research on the unit. Thanks for your insight!

?

Oh and I do not understand how the disc could be a part of a vet estate - it was burried in the ground from the end of the war......

Quote by Jan S View Post
    Oh and I do not understand how the disc could be a part of a vet estate - it was burried in the ground from the end of the war......
    that's a very good question. I emailed the seller to try to get some more info on it. He indicated that it was a part of a vet's estate and all the family knew was that the vet had brought it back with him from the war. So, when I say "dug", i'm thinking the vet may have found it himself during the war. Again, that's why I question whether it is real or not. Hopefully the seller will have more info to give me.

?

I cannot imagine how the ID tag could be so corroded in few months... It is aluminium, in good soil it survived in much better shape till today. I dug a lot of ID tags so I can say this.

Quote by Jan S View Post
    I cannot imagine how the ID tag could be so corroded in few months... It is aluminium, in good soil it survived in much better shape till today. I dug a lot of ID tags so I can say this.
    i'll have to see what the seller says. But he may not get much info on it. You know how stories go, we may never find the true story. But it seems to be a real disc, right? By the way, where have you dug? I'm in the USA, it's been a dream of mine to go overseas to see old battlefields......and maybe do a little digging. Is there still alot to be found, or has it been all dug over by now? My grandfather died near Krinkelt, Belgium. It would be intersting to go there one day..

I think the vet estate story is just that a 'story'. I agree with Jan, this tag has been in the ground a long time, certainly not brought back from the war in this condition unless this 'vet' kept his collection buried in the garden.

Still, I believe the item to be original, maybe worth $20-$30.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast