Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic ID tag

Article about: I just got this today. Any opinions as to the meaning of the markings? Thanks for any info. ~Dean

?

Default Relic ID tag

I just got this today. Any opinions as to the meaning of the markings? Thanks for any info.
    ~Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic ID tag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic ID tag
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Relic ID tag

I know Gorlitz is a town on the German/Polish border.

?

Well, So far I learned this may be from one of the Nebelwerfer (literally"smoke mortar" or "fog thrower") units that first invaded Poland .Nebelwerfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

WW1 German soldier's Id Tag Fussart Batt. | eBay

Man, here is a sister of your tag, maybe from the same source?
    It is WWI dog tag, showing name of the soldier, place and date of his birth.
    The unit is Fussilier Artillerie Ersatz Bataillon 24 - an infantry used for protection of artillery units.
    I am sure experts will explain much closer.

Jan

?

Interesting, thanks! I was wondering why is looked so diff from the ww2 ones I've seen. I'm not a collector of ww1 stuff but I do own a iron cross from the first war.

?

Also Jan , It is from the same seller as on ebay! That explains that. Must have been dug at the same spot by the same guy.

All I know its WW1 for sure with all the extra information on it.

?

Hello,

Quote by Jan S View Post
    It is WWI dog tag, showing name of the soldier, place and date of his birth.
    The unit is Fussilier Artillerie Ersatz Bataillon 24 - an infantry used for protection of artillery units.
    It's true that it's ID tag from WWI.

Starting from the top:

Edgar Klemmt - first and last name of the soldier
    Görlitz - "address" (not place of birth)
    8. 7. 95. - date of birth
    Fuss. Artl. Ers. Batl. 24 4. Batt. = Fuss-Artillerie-Ersatz-Bataillon 24 4. Batterie - 4th battery/ 24th foot artillery replacement battalion
    It was soldier's first assigment, the unit which he was drafted in
    No 262 - soldier's number

Fussart. Batt. = Fuss-Artillerie-Batterie - soldier's second assigment. I suppose there is a higher echelon of this battery on the backside of ID tag
    526 No - soldier's number

?

It's also the 1915 (I believe) early form of large, detailed disc- prior to this they were small, like WWII KM discs, and varied considerably in exact shape and layout, and had only the unit information the way WWII discs did. This new type had all the information in the world on it LOL. A little later they gained the Trennschlitzen and duplicate information on the lower half, and then they got the third hole at the bottom.

Note at this point the Germans were still sometimes using the French abbreviation for the 'number': 'No.' the way we do; the German word is 'Nummer', and at some point in the war and later, they switched to a more proper abbreviation: 'Nr.'
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Great, thanks! That's pretty much all the info one could get from this ID tag. Also, there is nothing on the reverse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast