MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Research is king. Do some before you buy.

Article about: I got asked recently about a Ekm being flogged on Eprey by a guy in UK. Sadly I did not get a photo of the item in question. Even worse was the fact that some poor soul bought it. The item w

Default Research is king. Do some before you buy.

I got asked recently about a Ekm being flogged on Eprey by a guy in UK. Sadly I did not get a photo of the item in question. Even worse was the fact that some poor soul bought it. The item was purported to be a Spanish Div Ekm, marked as SPAN but that was as far as the similarity went. The "story" was that it was found in on the site of a former POW camp in UK, along with a load of others.

The first thing I said to the guy who was asking about it was that the 250th spent no time on the Western front. The bulk of their time was fighting in the East as you will all know. Therefore said I it is practically impossible that one lone Spaniard found his way into. UK camp, hence even less so that his Ekm is now being sold there.

Needless to say the Ekm was a poor copy, but not so poor it seems that someone paid out for it. If that person was you, then remember to do some basic research, or ask on here before you buy. Now go get your refund!
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 10-28-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Research is king. Do some before you buy.
    P
    Many

Too much of this going on these days...and some from impulse buys of those who should know better.
    I hope these types of people dont buy their cars the same way and find out they have a lemon.

Conscious decisions are made and are acted upon ...those who are unknowing and buy without studying and comparing first ..are at the fault of their own hands..no excuses..if they can perform these same steps when purchasing items for their families choosing what is best..then the same can be performed with collecting in this hobby.

I would like to see the amount of " junk " and knockoffs " of home items that some of these people own..if they buy on impulse.
    We live in an instant society..and mostly by the computer...its saddening that as lazy as some of the one hit wonders that post an item here on this forum..at least I give them the credibility of trying..to where some who dont try at all ....you get what you pay for !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The old quote is the best, "a fool and his money are soon parted"!......

Then there is the fool who thinks the M40 SS helmet offered at $1200 is a bargain.

My favorite quote is... "Nice things costs money"

Quote by real steel View Post
    Then there is the fool who thinks the M40 SS helmet offered at $1200 is a bargain.

My favorite quote is... "Nice things costs money"
    Unless they are generously given to you! Leon.

In the age of instant gratification, of smartphones and social media, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. This seems to be a problem far more common amongst my generation than others, and I fear it will only get worse with time.
    Sometimes I wonder where the hobby will be by the time I'm old and grey, and the prospect is quite frightening. If the acquisition of knowledge, the chief aspect of militaria collecting, is abandoned, then what's the point?
    I genuinely wonder if the hobby will survive its transition from the current generation to the next. Here's hoping.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    In the age of instant gratification, of smartphones and social media, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. This seems to be a problem far more common amongst my generation than others, and I fear it will only get worse with time.
    Sometimes I wonder where the hobby will be by the time I'm old and grey, and the prospect is quite frightening. If the acquisition of knowledge, the chief aspect of militaria collecting, is abandoned, then what's the point?
    I genuinely wonder if the hobby will survive its transition from the current generation to the next. Here's hoping.

B.B.
    You are a very wise and perceptive young man! I am only slightly older and peering through the fog. Leon.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post

B.B.
    The two of you are looking at "The glass 1/2 empty, not 1/2 full." Demographics dictates when us "Baby boomers" are gone, the militaia market will be flooded. Supply & demand will apply....the prices will drop...Think of the collections you will be able to amass for maybe 1/2 the price we are paying now ? I know helmet collectors in their mid 70s'....1000 helmets stored away in their basements. So you BB at 22 years old....should be able to really do quite well for what you invest financially after these guys are gone. This applies to more than helmets. It is the entire militaria field. It will be all yours in twenty years. You are in a good position. No worries

MAP
    ?

The two of you are looking at "The glass 1/2 empty, not 1/2 full." Demographics dictates when us "Baby boomers" are gone, the militaia market will be flooded. Supply & demand will apply....the prices will drop...Think of the collections you will be able to amass for maybe 1/2 the price we are paying now ? I know helmet collectors in their mid 70s'....1000 helmets stored away in their basements. So you BB at 22 years old....should be able to really do quite well for what you invest financially after these guys are gone. This applies to more than helmets. It is the entire militaria field. It will be all yours in twenty years. You are in a good position. No worries
    But as time goes on, items deteriorate, get lost, thrown away, etc. So supply will always go down. How much will be the deciding factor....

Either way, I don't collect for the profit or the "next generation" just for me.

That said....I have little sympathy for people who impulse buy or don't do research. The tools are RIGHT THERE and with a little effort you should not get fooled. We NEVER had the information at our finger tips years ago like we do now. So let them spend their money and squander it on junk. That lets us come in and have the cash on hand to pick the good stuff up.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very true. Although I try not to think that way, as it seems rather morbid to look forward to the end of a generation for that reason alone. My great uncle, the man who got me interested in militaria in the first place, is in his eighties now. He apparently has quite a lot of stuff pertaining to my family tucked away in his house, but I'd much rather have him than anything he might have squirrelled away.
    The same applies to the older generation of collectors. While militaria prices may drop suddenly in the next few decades, the knowledge you have all accumulated will be much harder to replace. That's what concerns me, and that's what I'm working towards trying to prevent. I can only hope there are other young collectors with the same mindset.

Also, a side note. I do wonder if, with the centenary of World War II in 2039, the interest in militaria from the conflict will increase. Obviously it's still a long way off, but something that seems worth thinking about. Especially given the way things are going in regards to political correctness.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast