Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Restamped Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke

Article about: Bought this Gebirgsjäger dog-tag in a convolute ( compass, map case, mapping instruments, feldpost cards, etc) I don't have any problems with the marke although the blood group stamp is miss

?

Default Restamped Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke

Bought this Gebirgsjäger dog-tag in a convolute ( compass, map case, mapping instruments, feldpost cards, etc) I don't have any problems with the marke although the blood group stamp is missing. Originally the marke read - 4./(MG) Gb. Jg. R.99 changed to - 4/. (sch). so I take it 4th Company Machinen Gewehr reassign to be a schützen unit, what exactly were their the duties. The schützen unit that is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restamped Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restamped Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

?

In this case a Schützen-Kompanie is just a regular rifle Kompanie, nothing special. It's an odd change- typically the 4., 8., and 12. Kompanien were MG Kompanien, however the unit history mentions that in 1936 the Regiment added a 13. MG Kompanie, suggesting they either didn't have any before, which would be even more odd, or that they concentrated what they had before into a heavy weapons Kompanie- which is what the 13. usually is. So, presumably, the 4. MG Kompanie was changed to a regular Schützen-Kompanie when this happened. They're not listed as having been involved in any potential action until 1938 though and it's usually suggested men weren't issued Erkennungsmarken until field mobilization; perhaps they just got them early during the buildup? It's a neat disc whatever the case
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

As ever Matt, its a pleasure to post on the erkennugsmarke forum, I know I'll always get something good back, once again thanks for the help. A side issue, the marke belonged to a officer, I wonder, if you happen to know, whether their dog-tags were ever subject to any special regulations.
    Best Wishes

?

Sure thing Alec And no, I don't know of anything that suggests officers' discs were treated any differently than any others.

Oh and the lack of a blood group isn't odd really- they weren't standard, apparently, until mid-1941 and this man is a very early member of the unit- although probably not 'original' since his roll number is a little too high I think for that; men sometimes just didn't ever get tested or it was just never stamped on the disc. A blood group letter on a disc means it was issued- the lack of one doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thanks for tidying up the detail Matt.

?

Sch. - Schwere kompanie

Yes it could be for Heavy weapons company (mortars). I am thinking this tag was from a veteran of the unit who got moved to help the new recruits. Nice tag.