Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SS.1.D.MOT 16 tag

Article about: G'day gents, This tag was given to me, I don't collect them, but a friend had one he picked up at a militaria shop as a "ground dug" original, found in Poland he gave it to me as h

?

Default SS.1.D.MOT 16 tag

G'day gents,

This tag was given to me, I don't collect them, but a friend had one he picked up at a militaria shop as a "ground dug" original, found in Poland he gave it to me as he just doesn't want it!
    Having gone thru the tags in this forum, I'm still not 100%.... It does seem the "SS" is not a single double rune stamp, rather it seems to be a single rune stamp, which I believe is correct....., but why wouldn't the SS have had their own double rune stamp? it doesn't appear that the runes are recently added to sec up the tag, and for some reason I'm leaning towards it being an early war tag...
    As to the unit itself, I'm unsure as to the correct abbreviations or how to search for unit designations. I also found it confusing, with a fair few "grey areas" as to what unit used what designation they used when...
    It doesn't appear to be a ground dug blank tag stamped post war....
    So, IMHO, I believe it may be a good tag....I thought I'd use this as a lesson in researching my own disc, using the forum....still I am racked with doubt
    Any thoughts would be appreciated, please believe me when I say I did research it to the best of my abilities, if I have missed the bleeding obvious, I do apologise.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS.1.D.MOT 16 tag   SS.1.D.MOT 16 tag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS.1.D.MOT 16 tag
    P
    Many

?

1.D. MOT. 16 is no unit designation I can come up with, there just is no equivalent in the SS. As to the rune stamp it looks to me like a single line stamped 4 times not a single sig rune.

?

I did find a reference to a unit on wikipedia. 16 Kompanie was a motorised infantry Kompanie. added later to the divisions order of battle....

May, 1941
    Field Post Numbers
    Stab der Brigade
    Feldgendarmerie-Trupp
    SS-Infanterie-Regiment 8
    Stab des Regiments usw.
    I. Bataillon
    II. Bataillon
    III. Bataillon
    13. Kompanie
    14. Kompanie
    le. Infanterie-Kolonne
    SS-Infanterie-Regiment 10
    Stab des Regiments usw.
    I. Bataillon
    II. Bataillon
    III. Bataillon
    13. Kompanie
    14. Kompanie
    le. Infanterie-Kolonne
    Sanitäts-Kompanie
    Kranken-kraftwagen-Zug
    Nachrichten-Kompanie
    Werkstatt-Zug
    F.-P.-Nr. 16 441
    F.-P.-Nr. 45 913

F.-P.-Nr. 18 830
    F.-P.-Nr. 19 087
    F.-P.-Nr. 19 644
    F.-P.-Nr. 20 387
    F.-P.-Nr. 20 962
    F.-P.-Nr. 21 135
    F.-P.-Nr. 21 799

F.-P.-Nr. 22 110
    F.-P.-Nr. 22 782
    F.-P.-Nr. 22 984
    F.-P.-Nr. 22 331
    F.-P.-Nr. 23 719
    F.-P.-Nr. 23 846
    F.-P.-Nr. 16 504
    F.-P.-Nr. 17 166
    F.-P.-Nr. 44 650
    F.-P.-Nr. 18 610
    F.-P.-Nr. 45 431

Added Later
    Field Post Number
    15. Kompanie/SS-Infanterie-Regiment 8
    15. Kompanie/SS-Infanterie-Regiment 10
    16. Kompanie/SS-Infanterie-Regiment 10
    Flak-Batterie 8
    Flak-Batterie 9
    Funk-Kompanie
    1. Feldhaubitz-Batterie d. Schw.Art.Abt
    F.-P.-Nr. 37 552
    F.-P.-Nr. 23 719
    F.-P.-Nr. 39 394
    F.-P.-Nr. 38 183
    F.-P.-Nr. 39 840
    F.-P.-Nr. 18 610
    F.-P.-Nr. 26 253

Credit to feldgrau

?

I could be totally wrong, I'm looking at something I have no knowledge on!

?

AMTG,
    No worries we all start somewhere and I have found even experts can be wrong and rules for these tags were often broken when stamped in the field. However the stamping on that tag is 1.D. so I just don't know what that is. I cannot be the first SS division they were never stamped that way. The Unit your referring to above is the 1st SS brigade and it had a 16th company but the disk should refer back to the regiment or the battalion, unless the company is a "special" unit in some way (like signals or artillery sound ranging) and this disk does not say company or regiment or battalion (which it should). I do not like the runes on the tag either they are 4 strikes with a single shape making each set of runes. I have seen just the letters SS used and I have seen runes used but never a single line stamped 4 times. You should also look in the lexikon der Wehrmacht it has good unit information for future searches. Unfortunately lots of fake tags have incomplete or nonsensical unit information and SS runes to "sex them up" so I would not want that tag because it just matches all the elements I find in fake tags.

?

Mate you explained that so beautifully, and yet it made my eyes cross!
    I have nothing into this tag, and there are so many little variations, or units not having correct stamps, people moving etc....lots of grey areas.
    But I bow down to your knowledge on this and if your unsure, Well, who knows! I think it will just sit on the shelf in amongst the other bits and bobs as an "example"