Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand

Article about: Hello, I have been a long time lurker on this forum and, finally had something i felt would be worth posting about. I was given this item today and, while i know what it is i know almost not

Default SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand

Hello,
    I have been a long time lurker on this forum and, finally had something i felt would be worth posting about. I was given this item today and, while i know what it is i know almost nothing about it beyond that it MAY be a SS identification disk.
    I have been around for a little while and, am aware that these things were stamped out in eastern Europe after the war as bring back trophies or just for the sales market.

While i am fairly certain this is a reproduction (i would say about 70%) I have always followed the saying better safe than sorry.

This forum has been a great source of information on other Axis items i have found and, i am looking forward to hearing from you all.

p.s. - if this is the wrong place please let me know so i can yank this down promptly with my apologies
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand   SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS 15 Identification Disk - real or repro any help would be grand

This particular font strikes me odd.

The unit markings do not seem to make much sense. 15th SS Artillery? And no blood type?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

one of many things that had me skeptical

?

I think the disk is supposed to read Artillery Regiment (AR) 164 Soldier number 15, however Artillery regiment 164 was part of the Wehrmacht not the SS.

Well, technically, there Was an SS 15th Artillery...of the 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS(the 1st Latvian), but I don't imagine the tag comes from them...?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I don't see anything that immediately jumps out as suggesting the disc is bad- in fact overall it looks pretty realistic. The font's not a known bad one and looks 'correct' enough. William's right there was indeed an SS-Artillerie-Regiment 15, but not a 164, so the latter has to be the Stammrollennummer. Although the layout is odd, sometimes discs are marked strangely like this. No blood group letter isn't a problem as they weren't universally done- lots of issued discs lack one. The presence of a letter indicates the disc was (or is supposed to have been) issued, but no letter doesn't mean it wasn't. Unfortunately, that's about as far as really can be said without a known example from this unit or an SS-Soldbuch to show what the markings were actually like.

This is one I'd put in the 'worth a risk' category for a price low enough not to be painful if it turns out to be bad because it could well be real. If it was just given to you, that's a real bonus since all you can be is possibly pleasantly surprised
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Yes it was given to me along with a box load of medals, badges, hats and a pair of dagger. this was one of the items that had me scratching my head over whether was real or not as i have never actually seen a real one except pictures. have seen plenty of reproductions

i found that one too after a bit of digging around on the internet

?

Well this is a case where the odd marking, to me, is a good thing- fakers get things recognizably or they put a lot of extras or they copy real text that's clear; this one's obscure and not so obvious what it is immediately and that's not typical for a fake. The disc, stamping and age all look legitimate, so overall I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be real. But since nearly every unit's Erkennungsmarken were unique, the only way to tell, as I said, is to locate a 100% provably real example, or a document that shows the text- either of those would support or dismiss this example.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...